One Of My Partner Baby Polypterus Senagalus And Id My Bbg?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Paradise3

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
So I've been led to believe my BBG is a little Brachygobius Xanthozona going by the description for them and looking at him but recently my partner has told me that they aren't even known whether they are still a living species or not. So I thought maybe Doriae but I've had him over a year and he's maybe just under an inch long. He was raised in freshwater and has lived in freshwater all his life, he happily eats bloodworm and brine shrimp. Maybe the odd baby guppy when I have too many. He recently took down a fully grown male guppy so has the attitude of a bulldog for a fish his size. So from this picture can you ID him? Or is it really so hard to do that you cannot ID from pictures? I know for definite he's none of the following - Brachygobius Nunus, Xanthomelas or Aggregatus - as he has full colour banding. His anal fin is totally black and his dorsals are 90% black with just the edging being yellow. As you can see, his(or her) head is black with a yellow face and a very bright yellow band behind it whereas the rest of him is orangey-yellow and black. Pectorals are black at the base and clear at the edges. Tail has a black base and then starts a yellowy-orange and fades out as it goes.
DSCF1399_zps6fb5086e.jpg

And one of my partners 3 baby Polypterus Senagalus. They are about 4-5" at the minute and still skinny little ropes
smile.png

He has a Delhezi in his big tank(these will be moved up when they grow up a bit) that's about 7-8" long at the minute but getting a picture of her is a nightmare.
DSCF1694_zps3738df15.jpg

DSCF1691_zps270f7a20.jpg

This is what Neale Monks posted on one of my threads:

The BBGs imported to the hobby (which cannot be identified reliably to species level) all seem to want the same thing. Hard freshwater will do, if water quality and diet are good, but very slightly brackish conditions (around SG 1.002-1.003) is optimal, and provides a little extra goodness that keeps them happy.

Forget about trying to identify the species you have in your aquarium; you can't! Scientists can't do this without looking at them under the microscope, and more than likely DNA analysis is needed to be completely sure.

Cheers, Neale

I'm still yet to get mine! But getting excited!

TooManyChoices said:
This is what Neale Monks posted on one of my threads:

The BBGs imported to the hobby (which cannot be identified reliably to species level) all seem to want the same thing. Hard freshwater will do, if water quality and diet are good, but very slightly brackish conditions (around SG 1.002-1.003) is optimal, and provides a little extra goodness that keeps them happy.

Forget about trying to identify the species you have in your aquarium; you can't! Scientists can't do this without looking at them under the microscope, and more than likely DNA analysis is needed to be completely sure.

Cheers, Neale

I'm still yet to get mine! But getting excited!

I know, I found out not long after posting this that it's impossible to ID the individual species :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back