ONE OF MY NERITES WENT MISSING!

I can handle slobber, I'm a big girl! :p I used to be a Veterinarian Technician, so I am no stranger to Slobber... Plus, in my opinion, dogs are well worth the slobber... So, bring on the Slobber!!! :lol:
It's when he shakes his (noble - I have to admit, it is noble) head, and the slobber flies off in every direction, and no matter how much you wipe up, there is always some you miss, and find dried rock solid on the wall, ceiling, lampshade . . .

The worst thing that happened (don't read this is you are eating, folks) was once when I was sitting watching telly, and he came over to me and stood right in front of me.

I said, "Shift yourself, Big Lad" and slapped him on the rump. Well . . . his anal glands must have been chock full of . . . whatever it is that anal glands get chock full of, and just my brief slapping action, which pushed his tail against his bottom for a microsecond, caused them to EXPLODE!!!!!

There was . . . . stuff . . . the foulest smelling stuff you could possibly imagine - made fox poo smell like Chanel No5 - ALL OVER THE WALL. It was flock wallpaper, too. I've never encountered ANYTHING so rank! (And I've owned four windy staffies) Really, really awful. We could get neither the stench not the stain off the wall, and had to take the paper off. It has scrubbable paint on it now.

It's when he shakes his (noble - I have to admit, it is noble) head, and the slobber flies off in every direction, and no matter how much you wipe up, there is always some you miss, and find dried rock solid on the wall, ceiling, lampshade . . .

The worst thing that happened (don't read this is you are eating, folks) was once when I was sitting watching telly, and he came over to me and stood right in front of me.

I said, "Shift yourself, Big Lad" and slapped him on the rump. Well . . . his anal glands must have been chock full of . . . whatever it is that anal glands get chock full of, and just my brief slapping action, which pushed his tail against his bottom for a microsecond, caused them to EXPLODE!!!!!

There was . . . . stuff . . . the foulest smelling stuff you could possibly imagine - made fox poo smell like Chanel No5 - ALL OVER THE WALL. It was flock wallpaper, too. I've never encountered ANYTHING so rank! (And I've owned four windy staffies) Really, really awful. We could get neither the stench not the stain off the wall, and had to take the paper off. It has scrubbable paint on it now.
Yes, nothing smells worse than anal gland fluid!!! Even after 10 years of working as a Vet Tech and smelling it on a regular basis...It is a smell that you never "get used to"...It is foul beyond belief!!

Yes, nothing smells worse than anal gland fluid!!! Even after 10 years of working as a Vet Tech and smelling it on a regular basis...It is a smell that you never "get used to"...It is foul beyond belief!!
We used to have a lovely Irish vet called Billy, who offered to show me how to empty the glands "Aah! Sure, it's nottin'. Two minutes and it'll save ye thirty quid if ye do the oul' glands yeself." I told him that as far as we were concerned, it was thirty quid well spent . . .

(He was a lovely man - the dogs adored him!)

We used to have a lovely Irish vet called Billy, who offered to show me how to empty the glands "Aah! Sure, it's nottin'. Two minutes and it'll save ye thirty quid if ye do the oul' glands yeself." I told him that as far as we were concerned, it was thirty quid well spent . . .

(He was a lovely man - the dogs adored him!)
Love the Irish accent!!! I'd pay a little money just to get Vet advice in an Irish accent!!! :p

Love the Irish accent!!! I'd pay a little money just to get Vet advice in an Irish accent!!! :p
He was a lovely man. When we took one of our cats we warned him she was vicious. (She BIT. HARD). He said 'Aah! That'll be a tortoise-shell. They're rare for the bitin' so they are. If ever you're bit be a cat, it's a tortoiseshell"

He was right, as it happened . . . she was a total witch. :lol: She didn't bite Billy though.

He was a lovely man. When we took one of our cats we warned him she was vicious. (She BIT. HARD). He said 'Aah! That'll be a tortoise-shell. They're rare for the bitin' so they are. If ever you're bit be a cat, it's a tortoiseshell"

He was right, as it happened . . . she was a total witch. :lol: She didn't bite Billy though.
He is absolutely correct!!!! In my 10 years as a Vet Tech, I came across hundreds of tortoise-shell cats and I think maybe only a small handful of them were nice...The rest were nasty! I think that a cat's temperment can be a trait that is linked with color/pattern..A lot of Calico cats can tend to be "stand off-ish" as well... While Orange Tabby (or tiger) cats tend to be sweethearts!!! Genetics is fascinating.

He is absolutely correct!!!! In my 10 years as a Vet Tech, I came across hundreds of tortoise-shell cats and I think maybe only a small handful of them were nice...The rest were nasty! I think that a cat's temperment can be a trait that is linked with color/pattern..A lot of Calico cats can tend to be "stand off-ish" as well... While Orange Tabby (or tiger) cats tend to be sweethearts!!! Genetics is fascinating.
At the time our three cats were tortoiseshells of various types. One was what you describe as a calico cat - patches of orange and black and flashes of white - she was indeed stand-offish,but it was because she was very shy.

She would only drink from a dripping tap, and you had to watch her while she drank. If you tried to do something else at the same time eg peel a carrot, she would come over to you and gently put a paw on your arm and look at your face until you gave up and went back to the sink to watch her have a drink.

The biter was a blue tortoiseshell. She was a tiny cat - half persian. Her hair wasn't particularly long, though she had very long guard hairs, but my word, it was so soft and thick. She didn't have the squashy persian face - just a slightly blunted nose. She was phenomenally beautiful, but what a killer! She brought back magpies, rats, and on one memorable occasion a stoat (I couldn't believe it - those things are big and vicious). (She was the one who lived for 23 years).

The third was enormous- she was one of the beautiful brindled tortoiseshells. She was not only a big cat, but massively obese - she weighed two stones. When she"cat loafed" she sort of spread out in a circle, with her tail like a rudder, like a furry tennis racquet. She was actually the most loving and affectionate creature ever - however, Olly, the Biter, more than made up for her.

Our present two are ginger boys. They are good-natured and very affectionate, but are right "whingers". They're always complaining about something. "I want to be in" "I want to be out" "Where's my dinner" "Who moved my cushion" "Fiiiiish! I want fiiiiiiiish!" etc. They never seem to stop yowling.

I must be crackers putting up with them :lol:

I giggled reading about the dried slobber, remembering the film Beethoven. I smiled at "shift yourself, Big Lad", full on laughed the moment I read the words anal gland, having an idea of what was coming, then lost it completely at "flock wallpaper".

The flock finished me off. You tell a wonderful story.

Growing up, we had four tortoiseshell cats in all. Only one was a biter, not particularly hard. But she was also a sweetheart and incredibly smart. One was so sweet natured, I never saw her annoyed. You could wake her from her sleep and she'd be purring before she was fully awake. Another was aloof, but she was another rescue, and shy. One was just a pretty normal cat.

I don't know why we had so many torties. They were all rescues of some kind or another, we didn't buy any of them, just luck of the draw. The boy I lost recently was white with ginger patches and a ginger tail. He was a sweetheart and a cuddler as well, but very whingy, like your ginger cats. His nicknames were Weanlet, and The most Precious Wean, because he weaned so much. Weaning to be fed, to be fussed, to go in, to go out. Sometimes apparently just chatting.

The only cats that have bitten me and really meant it were a beautiful long haired tuxedo cat, and a skinny ginger cat who didn't want to go to the vet, but I had to make him.

I ended up with only 3 live ones the other 3 were empty shells:(, on the good side all of my fish are schooling in their shoal. The ember tetras are swimming in a tight group today. They will take a day or two to get use to the new surroundings.
I must say that I am really enjoying my neons and cories being the only fish in my 55G. I am learning to tell their signs. When they are relaxed, startled, hungry, etc. it ‘s really enjoyable to watch there living and social aspects. The cories are a hoot but I’ve gained a whole new respect for neons. They are a lot tougher than given credit for. Most of them survived a hard fight with treatment for a stubborn ich and came out stronger than before. Colors are more vibrant and some of them even come to me at the glass.

I must say that I am really enjoying my neons and cories being the only fish in my 55G. I am learning to tell their signs. When they are relaxed, startled, hungry, etc. it ‘s really enjoyable to watch there living and social aspects. The cories are a hoot but I’ve gained a whole new respect for neons. They are a lot tougher than given credit for. Most of them survived a hard fight with treatment for a stubborn ich and came out stronger than before. Colors are more vibrant and some of them even come to me at the glass.
That is great, I know they went though a lot, I just bought 22 neons from Miejer. They had a sale 10 for 10 USD and get one free so I picked up 11 and then went back the next day and did it again. I feel so much like a :devil: Around here neon go for around 2.99 each.:hyper:

That is great, I know they went though a lot, I just bought 22 neons from Miejer. They had a sale 10 for 10 USD and get one free so I picked up 11 and then went back the next day and did it again. I feel so much like a :devil: Around here neon go for around 2.99 each.:hyper:
You lucky duck, Viking! A shoal of neons for a bargain price!

Last edited:
Neons are so beautiful in a nice big school, and you got an amazing bargain! Please share photos sometime :)

That s a steal! I did find some at a lfs for 2.00 and was thrilled for no shipping so I picked up an extra 10. I have 20 coming that were on sale for $1.49 but still had 2 day shipping to pay. Since I found some finally in a lfs, I’ll quit ordering them. Hope this means some stock are coming back. :). Man, a buck each is a dream come true plus a bonus one. Have fun! Remember to QT!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back