ONE OF MY NERITES WENT MISSING!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Oh yes. Those nerites get new names every other week :rofl:
Correct. I am trying to find names that fit.

This week they are Bob and Terry.

Next week - who knows? Though TBH, Bob and Terry seem to suit them, so these may be the ones that stick.

Poor little Turbo seems to have disappeared for good, though. He was so tiny that if he got out we'd likely never find him. He could be in the hoover for all I know.

Last edited:
I had 7 nerite snails in my 55 gallon tank I am changing over to sand today, Found 6 of them, could not find the seventh one. I have hoods which have only one opening for a heater and some small ones for air lines so it would be hard but not impossible for my missing snail to escape,
They are proper little Houdinis!

Following advice upthread, we have chopped up a baby* sponge (specially purchased at great expense - 30p) and stuffed bits in every possible exit.

Nerites are obviously driven by the same sense of adventure that prompted Sir Edmund Hilary, Thor Amundssen and Jacques Cousteau. They accept the challenge just "because it's there".

If I ever find a tiny team of ramshorns harnessed to a miniature sled, I'll know there's a big expedition planned, and double my anti-escape precautions.

*A sponge to wash babies - not a teeny tiny newborn sponge. Just wanted to make that clear in case you thought i was some sort of monster.

Last edited:
I ended up with only 3 live ones the other 3 were empty shells:(, on the good side all of my fish are schooling in their shoal. The ember tetras are swimming in a tight group today. They will take a day or two to get use to the new surroundings.
That's lovely - it's a delight to see them shoal, isn't it?

Just wanted to say that your writing style made me laugh, which I sorely needed today, so thank you! Also love that you're so attached and have named your nerites, and that he survived! Not only lucky to have survived, but got lucky once he was home again! What a fortunate snail he is.
Glad to make a fellow Pratchett fan smile! :lol:

Glad to make a fellow Pratchett fan smile! :lol:
GNU, Sir Terry. We miss you.
I love to use Terry Pratchett quotes or names to fish for fellow fans, instantly warm to people who love his work!

Wondering, is that a Weimaraner paw in your profile pic?

GNU, Sir Terry. We miss you.
I love to use Terry Pratchett quotes or names to fish for fellow fans, instantly warm to people who love his work!

Wondering, is that a Weimaraner paw in your profile pic?
Not a Weimaraner - it's a blue Great Dane.

He was eight weeks old and we had just brought him home when we took that picture.
FC346B2E-1069-49F2-A168-16E4FD848A78_1_201_a.jpeg

He is eight years old now, and a very old man in great dane terms. Here he is under his blanket. His mighty paw is twice the size of my hand now.

He was eight weeks old and we had just brought him home when we took that picture.
View attachment 110515

He is eight years old now, and a very old man in great dane terms. Here he is under his blanket. His mighty paw is twice the size of my hand now.
I love him!
Great danes are so gorgeous. Eight is fantastic for a dane, you're clearly looking after him wonderfully. Wow, eight weeks old, and his paw was as large as an adult Weim or Labs paw! What a beauty.

It's tough having an elderly dog. My older dog is 14 now, a Springer/Cocker. Fairly advanced arthritis, but still enjoys a daily stroll, his food, and attention. Has given us a few health scares recently, and between his recent scare and my 17 year old cat, I had almost £1,000 in vets bills this month. Sadly, I had to let my cat go peacefully on Tuesday. My 14 year old spaniel has recovered well, and we're spoiling him and enjoying him.

Heartbreaking when they're older and when you eventually have to say goodbye. But the joy they give over their lifetime outweighs the heartbreak and makes it all worth it.

I love him!
Great danes are so gorgeous. Eight is fantastic for a dane, you're clearly looking after him wonderfully. Wow, eight weeks old, and his paw was as large as an adult Weim or Labs paw! What a beauty.

It's tough having an elderly dog. My older dog is 14 now, a Springer/Cocker. Fairly advanced arthritis, but still enjoys a daily stroll, his food, and attention. Has given us a few health scares recently, and between his recent scare and my 17 year old cat, I had almost £1,000 in vets bills this month. Sadly, I had to let my cat go peacefully on Tuesday. My 14 year old spaniel has recovered well, and we're spoiling him and enjoying him.

Heartbreaking when they're older and when you eventually have to say goodbye. But the joy they give over their lifetime outweighs the heartbreak and makes it all worth it.
I agree - I'd hate to be without my pets.

We also have three spaniels (2 cockers and a springer)

EA66A675-A007-4FCA-9DEA-4F64EA9CE433_1_201_a.jpeg

and two cats.

Before these we had six terriers - we lost the last one five years ago. The oldest dog we had was a westie - just a fortnight off 20 when she died and we had her two sons till they were 18. All of our other dogs have been much younger (12 - 13). To have a long-lived pet you need good care, good food, good genes and blooming good luck! The oldest cat we had was 23. Our present two are ginger boys - they're 8.

14 is a good age for a sprocker, and 17 is good for a cat. You are obviously a good pet mammy! But you are right about vet's bills. One of our dogs was a tiny yorkie. She cost us a fortune! - more than all of our other animals put together. I'd never have another tiny dog again. She was an absolute sweetie though - broke our hearts when we lost her.

We are preparing ourselves for Loki's passing, I have to admit - his back legs are starting to "go" (you know what I mean) and he is going blind (cataracts), but we're hoping for another year or so.

:wub: Your house is amazing! I want to get down on the floor and be mobbed by spaniels and a dane! This is my sweet old Sprocker boy last summer
DSCF0325.JPG

And this is my younger seven year old girl, Pixie. Rescued at nine weeks old, I could see she was mostly Springer, but that there was something else mixed in there too. Had a cheap DNA test done just to satisfy my curiosity, and it turns out she's mostly Springer, with about a quarter of Border Collie in there, and at least one grandparent was a supermutt. Bit of Pointer, bit of whippet, and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head. She's super smart and high energy, so plenty of exercise and training needed! Smartest dog I've ever had, which is both a blessing and a curse, lol. She's my shadow and I adore her.
DSCF0301.JPG
PixieFaves.JPG

My 17 year old boy, back when he was younger
163668_1244934779786_2756301_n.jpg

Previous cats were elderly, but were all adults when rescued, so ages were just guestimates. Leo was a 7-8 week old kitten when he literally arrived yowling at the front door, so we could figure out his age more easily. I've decided against getting another cat for a long while, unless another turns up on the doorstep and needs a home like my old boy did. Caring for my parents who are getting on, plus the two dogs, two parrots, three fish tanks, and my dad's aviaries, that's enough to manage right now.

The family dogs I grew up with reached 17 and 18, we've been lucky. The lab/whippet had that hybrid vigour, and the Jack Russell 17. Terriers are long lived at least. I probably wouldn't get another terrier either. Well, maybe I would, I do like Border Terriers, they look like grumpy little old men, but they're sweet and proper working terriers. Maybe a Golden or a setter. But I'll always have spaniels too. Just joyous little dogs that should be prescribed as a treatment for depression. Always sweet natured and happy, as you know! Not anytime soon though, Pixie is a one woman dog who doesn't like to share my attention. She'd be heartbroken if a new dog came in. She only tolerates my old boy because he was here first, lol.

:wub: Your house is amazing! I want to get down on the floor and be mobbed by spaniels and a dane! This is my sweet old Sprocker boy last summerView attachment 110517
And this is my younger seven year old girl, Pixie. Rescued at nine weeks old, I could see she was mostly Springer, but that there was something else mixed in there too. Had a cheap DNA test done just to satisfy my curiosity, and it turns out she's mostly Springer, with about a quarter of Border Collie in there, and at least one grandparent was a supermutt. Bit of Pointer, bit of whippet, and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head. She's super smart and high energy, so plenty of exercise and training needed! Smartest dog I've ever had, which is both a blessing and a curse, lol. She's my shadow and I adore her.
View attachment 110518View attachment 110520

My 17 year old boy, back when he was younger View attachment 110521

Previous cats were elderly, but were all adults when rescued, so ages were just guestimates. Leo was a 7-8 week old kitten when he literally arrived yowling at the front door, so we could figure out his age more easily. I've decided against getting another cat for a long while, unless another turns up on the doorstep and needs a home like my old boy did. Caring for my parents who are getting on, plus the two dogs, two parrots, three fish tanks, and my dad's aviaries, that's enough to manage right now.

The family dogs I grew up with reached 17 and 18, we've been lucky. The lab/whippet had that hybrid vigour, and the Jack Russell 17. Terriers are long lived at least. I probably wouldn't get another terrier either. Well, maybe I would, I do like Border Terriers, they look like grumpy little old men, but they're sweet and proper working terriers. Maybe a Golden or a setter. But I'll always have spaniels too. Just joyous little dogs that should be prescribed as a treatment for depression. Always sweet natured and happy, as you know! Not anytime soon though, Pixie is a one woman dog who doesn't like to share my attention. She'd be heartbroken if a new dog came in. She only tolerates my old boy because he was here first, lol.
Your pet family is lovely - and I adore Pixie's tail - strong border collie heritage there! :)

In the wild Nerite snails will roam from fresh water to brackish water to breed. They will also hang above the water line when the water isnt to their liking or in search of food. Snails like all inverts are sensitive to heavy metals especially copper. If snail keeps leaving checj your local tap water for heavy metals, if water doesnt have enough Calcium/magnesium theyll also be grumpy. Also in the summer if temp of tank is getting warmer they may take a walk about.
If none of these then the little guy is probably just looking to spread his/ her oats.
Good luck.:)

In the wild Nerite snails will roam from fresh water to brackish water to breed. They will also hang above the water line when the water isnt to their liking or in search of food. Snails like all inverts are sensitive to heavy metals especially copper. If snail keeps leaving checj your local tap water for heavy metals, if water doesnt have enough Calcium/magnesium theyll also be grumpy. Also in the summer if temp of tank is getting warmer they may take a walk about.
If none of these then the little guy is probably just looking to spread his/ her oats.
Good luck.:)
Thank you Utah - that makes sense - especially the brackish water stuff. I knew they couldn't breed in fresh and had wondered how they managed. Now I know.

View attachment 110515

I have a Great Dane cross... But I have always wanted a pure bred Great Dane...and a Blue Great Dane is my dream dog!! Your boy is beautiful!:wub:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back