One Of My Ghosts Is Off

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TylerFerretLord

g͝e͠ek҉
Reaction score
Well, when I first got them he was little more solidly colored than the others. However, he's been getting more and more blue as time goes by. Now he's almost totally opaque. Anyone have any idea what this could be? I've read about various parasites having intermediate stages in shrimp that make the shrimp stand out so it will be eaten, but I'm not sure if this is like that.

I'm very sure that this is a ghost and not a Macrobrachium sp. as he has all of the marking of a normal ghost and the same shape, just that his flesh is changing color.

Here are some pics. As you can see, he really stands out from the others. :blink:
S7002950.jpg

S7002961.jpg

S7002979.jpg

S7002966.jpg

I don't know if there is anything the matter with the shrimp, it does not look like an illness, amanos can go blueish when they are stressed so maybe it is stressed for some reason. Truth is I don't know.

Is he a blue banded ghost shrimp that has sneaked in the bag when you got them
just an idea

Cheers Sarah xxx

I don't think so, he was in a tank just filled with ghosts. They don't actually sell any other shrimp at that store other than the odd shipment of bamboo shrimp or cherries they get occasionally. :lol:

He's doing fine to be honest, out and about and eating whatever I give them. I don't think that whatever it is that's causing this is hurting him at all, as if it was a parasite's intermediate stage it would be a bad idea to kill your host before it is eaten.

I did some googling but came up empty handed so I think that, barring me removing him from the tank and putting his tissues under a microscope(not gonna happen), I'm just going to have to pass this off as one of those things.

I don't think so, he was in a tank just filled with ghosts. They don't actually sell any other shrimp at that store other than the odd shipment of bamboo shrimp or cherries they get occasionally. :lol:

He's doing fine to be honest, out and about and eating whatever I give them. I don't think that whatever it is that's causing this is hurting him at all, as if it was a parasite's intermediate stage it would be a bad idea to kill your host before it is eaten.

I did some googling but came up empty handed so I think that, barring me removing him from the tank and putting his tissues under a microscope(not gonna happen), I'm just going to have to pass this off as one of those things.

As long as he's happy and seems healthy fingers crossed all will be ok , please let us know how he gets on as it's a strange one lol

Cheers Sarah xxx

Alright, I may have spoken too soon.

The ghost is now acting very odd. His legs are kind of twisted up, his pleopods are all extended and he's walking in circles(never a good sign) backwards. :crazy:

I think I'm going to put him down so the others don't have a chance to nibble on him after he dies and possibly catch whatever is up with him.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back