One of my bettas went missing

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

nightpaws

Reaction score
I have a betta sorority of 9 and 1 of them has dissapeared since last night. She hasn't showed up for feedings. She is a glow betta so she should be really easy to spot. I turned on the blue light and she's not in the tank and not on the floor. I've quadruple checked everywhere.
Has anyone ever completely lost a fish without any trace?

Last edited:
I have a betta sorority of 9 and 1 of them has dissapeared since last night. She hasn't showed up for feedings. She is a glow betta so she should be really easy to spot. I turned on the blue light and she's not in the tank and not on the floor. I've quadruple checked everywhere.
Has anyone ever completely lost a fish without any trace?
Hello,
You are not alone! This happened to my beautiful dumbo betta. Left for the weekend, came back and he was not in his tank. I searched high and low for days and I couldnā€™t find a trace of him! Itā€™s been a year now and Iā€™m still looking for him!
Crazy

Do you have any dogs or cats that could have picked it off the floor? I'd look around all the nooks and crannies of the tank to see if you can find a body if you haven't already. Even moving decorations and or plants a bit if you are able.

Do you have any dogs or cats that could have picked it off the floor? I'd look around all the nooks and crannies of the tank to see if you can find a body if you haven't already. Even moving decorations and or plants a bit if you are able.
I have no other pets and I've spent all morning checking everywhere including hardscapes. Checked the HOB filter despite having an intake sponge, checked the floors despite having a lid.
I've been reading other threads and I'm thinking the fish and snails really do devour eachother "in a matter of hours". That or aliens.

Hello,
You are not alone! This happened to my beautiful dumbo betta. Left for the weekend, came back and he was not in his tank. I searched high and low for days and I couldnā€™t find a trace of him! Itā€™s been a year now and Iā€™m still looking for him!
Crazy
It is crazy, I can't stop wondering what happened. Maybe one day, years later, our fish will just appear again lol.

When one of my female bettas went missing, ransacked the tank and I eventually disconnected the filters (currently on 2, as one is failing but still want the bacteria culture?) and found her stuck behind one in a space clearly too small for her, only just dead. It sucked, and I can't warm up to her replacement yet =/ But try the places you don't expect, like behind your filter.

When one of my female bettas went missing, ransacked the tank and I eventually disconnected the filters (currently on 2, as one is failing but still want the bacteria culture?) and found her stuck behind one in a space clearly too small for her, only just dead. It sucked, and I can't warm up to her replacement yet =/ But try the places you don't expect, like behind your filter.
I too was thinking she had to be stuck in some spot. I've completely disassembled the filter and the hardscapes on the first day.
She is just completely gone without a trace.

If it died, it would depend on how many snails/fish you have to eat it. I lost a fish and couldnā€™t find it anywhere. However, the next day I woke up to a pile of snails on top of each other. I knocked them all away and found the partially remaining head of the missing fish. That was all. :(. Good luck, I hope you solve your mystery.

Yes. This has happened.
A kerri tetra of mine went MIA last Sunday.
I had a serpae do that almost a year ago too.
She probably dies and the other fish ate her.

I suppose 6 nerites and 8 bettas are a good cleanup crew.
She was 100% healthy so that part will always be a mystery to me.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back