Once more why glass tanks over 100 gallons can be scary. His dream marine tank of 220G cracked.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
All it took was he didnt sink a screw head deep enough. If it was Acrylic?..man,no problemo at all. But his $1600 cost to replace glass and water and all the rest is what happens with glass. I mean,if you get one off ebay for cheap? Of course go for it. But full retail in hundreds of gallons for thousands? Risky.

If I ever get a big tank, it will be acrylic.

I accidentally nocked over the rocks in my 29g saltwater tank today, and one of them hit the glass. Luckily nothing broke, but it scared the fuplie out of me.

If I ever get a big tank, it will be acrylic.

I accidentally nocked over the rocks in my 29g saltwater tank today, and one of them hit the glass. Luckily nothing broke, but it scared the fuplie out of me.
I do that all the time with my glass paper weights. Scares me so bad, but I have no more storage space on my shelf because of my collection of glass collie dogs o_O
All it took was he didnt sink a screw head deep enough. If it was Acrylic?..man,no problemo at all. But his $1600 cost to replace glass and water and all the rest is what happens with glass. I mean,if you get one off ebay for cheap? Of course go for it. But full retail in hundreds of gallons for thousands? Risky.
That is AWFUL. You have convinced me!

I don't need to worry about it because the largest I will ever go is a 75-gallon tank.

You lot must have some crap quality tanks over there. I have never seen a tank blow apart and only know of a couple that have, and one of them had a huge piece of limestone thrown at it by a duckhead working at the shop.

You lot must have some crap quality tanks over there. I have never seen a tank blow apart and only know of a couple that have, and one of them had a huge piece of limestone thrown at it by a duckhead working at the shop.
over here we call them something-else-heads and you can find one in almost every pet store lol

Last edited by a moderator:
My 130g is almost indestructible the glass is 9mm thick , I like glass tanks for they are so reusable can even flat pack them cut out the silicone and lay flat just as simple to re build , i here Perspex and acrylic can’t just be siliconed together and cure the same as glass , but iv never owned one not really an abundance of them here in the uk

Acrylic aquariums are not dependent on any silicone. The are "welded" by glue. Like any weld- it can be stronger than it was made originally.
I like glass. I would say up to 40 gallons I never had one leak But I did have a 50 gallon give out once. But acrylic? Never from 30-240 gallons.

I watched a video on YouTube not long ago about plywood fish tanks they seem very strong , I think if I was going 300g or up I’d look into building one , they are literally as strong as the wood you build them from other than the viewing glass which could be acrylic if chosen , really cool video if your a nerd with no life (me ) lol he used pond sealant to waterproof the wood looked amazing in the end

Wood is flexible..as long as the coating isnt scratched. Ever.;)

over here we call them something-else-heads and you can find one in almost every pet store lol
LOL yeah we call them something else heads too, but I didn't want the moderators moderating my comments, so I use duck instead of the other one :)

-----------------------
I have had glass and Perspex tanks and I like the weight of Perspex (it's much lighter) but it scratches so easily. Glass weighs more but you have to drag gravel along it to scratch it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back