Once again... Found something totally awesome in the back yard.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So I got totally freaked out (not because I'm afraid of snakes, I'm not, I just have a respect of them, but because our dog was out there and she got curious).
I didn't want Luna getting bit so I didn't get close enough to see if it was venomous or not, I just grabbed the shovel and yelled no at Luna, preparing my mind and already apolozing to God of I had to kill the thing.
Luckily Luna backed away and I realized this guy was just trying to finish his meal with his girlfriend... They must have been on a breakfast date.
So luckily no one was killed, I would have been so sad that I killed their mate.
20221017_114204.jpg
20221017_114212.jpg
20221017_115144.jpg

20221017_115200.jpg
20221017_115103.jpg
20221017_115114.jpg

I'm just guessing their the same species and different genders... Definitely looks non-venomous (I hope I was right lol).
I even pet the guys tail as he left. He was a chill guy.

Attachments

• 20221017_115114.jpg
    20221017_115114.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 41
They were separate when I found them but now they are together behind a brick. Their just hanging out. (I know their not just "hanging out". But it's family friendly here 🤣)

Looks like a Gopher snake, if it is they get quite large and can eat things up to rat size. They can also pretend to be a rattler, rattling the ground with their tail and flaring out their jaws. We used to have one when I was a kid, they will bite and although not venomous they can still draw blood.

Looks like a Gopher snake, if it is they get quite large and can eat things up to rat size. They can also pretend to be a rattler, rattling the ground with their tail and flaring out their jaws. We used to have one when I was a kid, they will bite and although not venomous they can still draw blood.
Yah whatever it ate, it had to enlarge its mouth. I watched it swallow the thing...
Right now the male looks like he is entangled with the female and keeping his head up watching me closely. I think he is guarding them, making sure their both safe.

Those are Eastern garter snakes. They are harmless, and eat primarily cold blooded prey such as amphibians, fish, and earthworms. They will also occasionally prey on small birds and rodents.
That top specimen is absolutely stunning. I’ve never seen one like that before.

Those are Eastern garter snakes. They are harmless, and eat primarily cold blooded prey such as amphibians, fish, and earthworms. They will also occasionally prey on small birds and rodents.
That top specimen is absolutely stunning. I’ve never seen one like that before.
Thanks for the identification!
Nice to know this guy is a stunner. Probably why he got a girlfriend close to winter time 🤣

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back