Omega one Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp to feed Guppies?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello all
I recently ran out of some Omega One BloodWorms, and all the fish loved them, even the tiny-mouthed guppies.
I want to try something new along with buying a bigger can of blood worms.
I want to also make sure that the guppies do not get the new food stuck inside of their mouths
Does anyone have experience feeding the freeze dried brine shrimp to guppies?

I have never had any food that wasn't another fish get stuck in a guppy's mouth. Freeze dried brine shrimp are good roughage, but a little low on substance. They're still good food.

I consider all freeze-dried foods too risky, I stopped feeding them 15+ years ago. If you insit, you must fully soak the food before it goes in the tank. Freeze dried foods will absorb water and swell, and this has to occur before the fish eat it, or it occurs in the stomach and causes problems for the fish. Frankly there are much more nutritional foods anyway.

Bug Bits is one. Omega One flake is another, and the veggie flake would be a nice alternative for livebearers. New Life Spectrum flake.

I consider all freeze-dried foods too risky, I stopped feeding them 15+ years ago. If you insit, you must fully soak the food before it goes in the tank. Freeze dried foods will absorb water and swell, and this has to occur before the fish eat it, or it occurs in the stomach and causes problems for the fish. Frankly there are much more nutritional foods anyway.

Bug Bits is one. Omega One flake is another, and the veggie flake would be a nice alternative for livebearers. New Life Spectrum flake.
I prefer to feed live or frozen food. If I do feed dried I soak it- even flakes before feeding. Prevents swelling in the stomach.
Thanks for the information!
I make sure to soak all types of food before feeding, even floating food, because of the issues listed above, and also because the bottom feeding cories can get some of the good food!

It's interesting. I have never soaked a food, and never had any fish develop swollen guts from food. I currently don't use freeze dried as I'm allergic to bloodworm proteins, and I culture live brine shrimp. I use a lot of decapsulated brine shrimp, and other dried foods, like crushed krill. With decap, I have had people loudly saying it kills fish, yet I am on my tenth pound of the stuff and not a fish has shown any negative response. If fish give me eggs while on a food, then I judge that food to be good. Bug bites are the only prepared food that does that. Not one of the others has ever increased egg production except in Cichlids that are detritivores.

I see them, I buy them, I try them.

In fact, I try to avoid pellets and flake as staples, even with my Cichlids, because they seem to cause obesity, especially in tetras. It's like a human on a steady diet of preperaed foods - it is nutritious, but excessively rich at times.

if anyone here has seen an affordable source of black mosquito larvae freeze dried, let me know. That was a superb food for my killies, but I haven't seen it for years.

It's interesting. I have never soaked a food, and never had any fish develop swollen guts from food. I currently don't use freeze dried as I'm allergic to bloodworm proteins, and I culture live brine shrimp. I use a lot of decapsulated brine shrimp, and other dried foods, like crushed krill. With decap, I have had people loudly saying it kills fish, yet I am on my tenth pound of the stuff and not a fish has shown any negative response. If fish give me eggs while on a food, then I judge that food to be good. Bug bites are the only prepared food that does that. Not one of the others has ever increased egg production except in Cichlids that are detritivores.

I see them, I buy them, I try them.

In fact, I try to avoid pellets and flake as staples, even with my Cichlids, because they seem to cause obesity, especially in tetras. It's like a human on a steady diet of preperaed foods - it is nutritious, but excessively rich at times.

if anyone here has seen an affordable source of black mosquito larvae freeze dried, let me know. That was a superb food for my killies, but I haven't seen it for years.
The bloodworms actually helped my cories create eggs.
however, i flunked on raising the eggs, and have to wait until next time now :(

I've never seen black mosquito larvae freeze dried before...
I've only ever fed live mosquito larvae to some guppies because my outdoor pond had a few of them

Most reactions

trending

Back