Oliver's Not Doing Anything.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ReiRei

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I know fish rest, but Oliver has been doing nothing but resting these past two days. Monday, he spent the day inside the ornament so I didn't get to see him. And today he's resting on the gravel, only occasionally moving when he feels like it.

There's not a great deal in the tank due to funds.
If he's bored, what can I do about it?

Could people suggest ways to entertain fighters? I know of pingpong balls, but thats it.
He won't follow my finger anymore, he used to though.

Wildbetta advised me to put colourful things outside vaders tank - so I change one of the children's colourful toys on a daily basis - may help?

Is oliver still eating well? 
I have heard of people propping a mirror up against the tank for 10mins a day for their betta to flare at as apparently it is good stimulation for them, i have also heard of the pingpong ball.
Is it a new tank? If so he may just be settling in!
try rearranging the tank occasionally if it is not new!

Yup, all levels are fine
And he's eating fine.

He does have some plants, but im getting some more thursday

Try the mirror thing, a bit of stimulation will do him no harm! :) 

Mirror didnt work, he went back inside the ornament and ignored it

Just read through your other topics on Oliver to refresh my memory

My Newest Companion ...

Olivers Journey ...

1. Can you tell us, was the tank fully cycled before Oliver went into it? i.e.how long was it set-up and running before he went into his new home?
  2. When you say the stats are fine, what are you testing them with i.e. your test kit, what is it please?
  3. The plastic items you have in his tank, were they from an aquarium store and therefore are fish safe?
  4. What do you feed him and how much?  Are you able to get him any live food i.e. Glass Worms (White Mosquito Larvae)
  5. Any chance of getting the Amano Shrimp I mentioned?  They will amuse him...just make sure they have somewhere to retreat too if need be.
His temperature is OK, although most of my boys are a couple of degrees higher at 80oF so you may wish to try upping it a little.
He is in quite a large tank, which on one hand is great, but on the other hand some Bettas can change their behaviour in a larger tank, and appear depressed.
He could also, just be resting, fighters can do this a lot.  

Let us know the answers to the questions as this can assist in helping you and Oliver further.
Keep an eye on him and report any further changes.

1. Due to dangerous ammonia levels, the tank was only set up for a day before I added Oliver. He was in a temporary tank beforehand with levels through the roof, so I had to move him much sooner than I'd have liked.
2. API Water Test Kit, all levels are normal - no sign of ammonia luckily.
3. There is a singular ornament that is fish safe, several rounded large pebbles which are also safe. Both were rinsed under warm water before being added.
4. I feed him pellets once a day, just a small pinch. He didnt eat when I got up this morning, but my friend managed to feed him later. I will try to get some glass worms.
5. Not as of yet - I live quite far from the LFS, so visits are rare. I plan on doing that as soon as I can though.

1a. How long was he in the other tank with high ammonia levels?
1b. Were you able to use some mature media in the filter of the new tank?
2. Good test kit :)
3. What about the rubber looking anemones?
4a. What are the pellets you are feeding i.e. name of brand?
4b. Is his belly rounded looking or normal?
5. Cool
6. When you got him, do you know how long had he been in the store before hand?

Are you able to get some IAL on-line?  These will help condition the water to what the Betta is used to.

Sorry to ask so many questions but it assists in understanding what is happening for Oliver.

1a. About two weeks I think, can't remember the exact date I got him
1b. What do you mean by mature media? (Still learning all these phrases :p
3. Forgot about those haha! Yeah, they're meant for fish tanks. VERY soft and gentle on him.
4a. Hikari betta pellets
4b. His belly looks perfectly normal
6. He was 16 weeks when I bought him, so no idea how long he'd spent in the store. (they were storing him in cups.)

Didn't know about IAL, just googled it and will look further into that.

Been asking on the forum for you today and it struck me that maybe he is stressed about seeing his reflection, I know he is no longer flaring but it doesnt mean he cant see his reflection and he came out of his hiding place when I turned the lights off to feed him. Not sure how to stop his reflection though.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back