OliveFish05’s double tank journal and builds (20 gallon tropical community and 40 gallon axolotl tank)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello. I am switching up my 10 gallon and 55 gallon tanks completely so decided to make a single journal for the builds and journals of all my tanks and my new setups. I am changing a lot of things. My old setup was a 55 gallon tank and a 10 gallon tank, both tropical communities. My plan going forward is a 40 breeder and a 20 long, one with axolotls and one a tropical community.

Bought the 40 breeder today, picking it up this week. Got my 20 long set up, but not in its permanent location. The 55 gallon and the 10 gallon are listed on my local Craigslist. My plan is to build or buy a tank stand that can hold both the 40 and the 20.

My plan
40 gallon -
2 sponge filters
Lidless tank
Black sand
Dragon stone
Plants (planted and some that grow up out of the tank)
2-3 axolotls

20 Long -
Aquaclear 50
Lots of live plants
13 Pygmy cories (Bifur, Bofur, Bombar, Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin, Balin, Dwalin, Ori, Nori, Dori, and Thorin)
1 BN Pleco (Gandalf)
2 nerite snails (Bard and Smaug)
10 marbled hatchetfish (Bilbo, Frodo, Sam, Pippin, Merry, Belladona, Mirabella, Rosie, and two names I have yet to think of)
A group of green neons
Cherry shrimp

Y’all see the theme right?

I will post updates regularly! Hoping to get the neons, hatchetfish, and shrimp sometime in December.

Last edited:
I’ve definitely got a plan. This time I can actually update on a build from start to finish. I usually already have the tank setup by the time I make a journal!

I will be making the stand myself, since it will hold the 40 gallon and the 20 gallon. It will be going right by my window, and I want the bottom of the 20 gallon to be level with the bottom of my window, but still have 8 inches of space to work above the tank. Its very specific. I’m thinking if I do that though the stand will be very tall! But not quite as tall me luckily, one the tank is on it.

I will be making the stand myself, since it will hold the 40 gallon and the 20 gallon. It will be going right by my window, and I want the bottom of the 20 gallon to be level with the bottom of my window, but still have 8 inches of space to work above the tank. Its very specific. I’m thinking if I do that though the stand will be very tall! But not quite as tall me luckily, one the tank is on it.
I’m struggling to visualise the tank sizes (UK here and just about working out litres) have you got a sketch, or could you give tank dimensions in either cms or inches..? A ‘20 gallon long’ is obviously a standard size where you are 🙂.

Are you putting the bigger tank at the top..? If so, how will you prevent the top-heavy-ness from making it tip over..?

I think I love the planning and organising as much as sitting and watching the fish 😂

I’m struggling to visualise the tank sizes (UK here and just about working out litres) have you got a sketch, or could you give tank dimensions in either cms or inches..? A ‘20 gallon long’ is obviously a standard size where you are 🙂.

Are you putting the bigger tank at the top..? If so, how will you prevent the top-heavy-ness from making it tip over..?

I think I love the planning and organising as much as sitting and watching the fish 😂
Oh right! Sorry. A “40 breeder” is 36x18x16 inches, a “20 long” is 30x12x12 inches. The stand is going to be made out of wood, I would assume it would be less top heavy than, say, a 55 gallon with nothing on the bottom shelf. I’m basically building a stand for the 40 gallon, but making so that I CAN put a second tank below.

Oh right! Sorry. A “40 breeder” is 36x18x16 inches, a “20 long” is 30x12x12 inches. The stand is going to be made out of wood, I would assume it would be less top heavy than, say, a 55 gallon with nothing on the bottom shelf. I’m basically building a stand for the 40 gallon, but making so that I CAN put a second tank below.
Thank you for the information 🙂

Please post plenty of pictures as you go 🙂

Got the tank today! Brand new from Petco for $50. Ignore the clutter on my bed, working on organizing and cleaning all my things and bedding from having family stay (my bedroom is the guest room)
AA43731C-E90B-4403-9520-D755C4B13995.jpeg

I am trying to figure out what to do for my stand. My plan has changed around a little bit. I was thinking about using a sturdy shelf, holds 800 pounds per shelf, adjustable height, metal. $100 at Lowe’s. There’s also this, from petco that could work. Problem is, the bottom shelf is very low.
DEB26A1E-1B79-40E3-95E0-1DB8C96C9F9F.png

This is the shelf from Lowe’s. I would use the bottom half, so it would be 36 inches tall with the bottom tank sitting about 12 inches off the ground. Problem is my mom says “it’s ugly” and she “doesn’t want ugly furniture”. Lol
50B31230-E4E6-4E48-85F7-DAE213D7AB1E.png

You could fill the “gaps” with some kind of wood/plaster board and paint it to match the walls…make “doors” to hide all you equipment in (keep everything tidy and out of sight)…you could make fabric “fillers” using net curtain wires and some fabric with hems on both edges…

Lots of ways to make it “fit in”…

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back