OliveFish05’s double tank journal and builds (20 gallon tropical community and 40 gallon axolotl tank)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
problem with the petco metal stand is that there isn't enough area of floor contact and you could crack the floor with 2 tanks on it, assuming the stand will survive the weight
also the lowe's option - the exterior dimensions of the aquarium are longer and wider than advertised and the space for storage on the utility rack is going to be smaller than advertised
so, the tank probably won't fit and you'll need to get a larger sized rack

problem with the petco metal stand is that there isn't enough area of floor contact and you could crack the floor with 2 tanks on it, assuming the stand will survive the weight
Even concrete? I am on the ground floor of the house, no basement below me. Just a bunch of concrete.
also the lowe's option - the exterior dimensions of the aquarium are longer and wider than advertised and the space for storage on the utility rack is going to be smaller than advertised
so, the tank probably won't fit and you'll need to get a larger sized rack
Interesting... Several of the reviews say the measurements are pretty exact and that they keep 40 gallon tanks on them. Does this change anything?

You could fill the “gaps” with some kind of wood/plaster board and paint it to match the walls…make “doors” to hide all you equipment in (keep everything tidy and out of sight)…you could make fabric “fillers” using net curtain wires and some fabric with hems on both edges…

Lots of ways to make it “fit in”…
Oooo those are very nice ideas, thank you. I have seen some people use wall panels and such to make covers for the wire shelves. I also think it would look very nice to wrap some fake vines around the legs.

Oooo those are very nice ideas, thank you. I have seen some people use wall panels and such to make covers for the wire shelves. I also think it would look very nice to wrap some fake vines around the legs.
Pinterest has hundreds of ideas if you can find the right search term…

Even concrete? I am on the ground floor of the house, no basement below me. Just a bunch of concrete.
probably not concrete but floor boards
Interesting... Several of the reviews say the measurements are pretty exact and that they keep 40 gallon tanks on them. Does this change anything?
i don't know, measure your tank as precisely as you can, then go to the store, and measure the rack
(the rack doesn't look very well constructed either, i wouldn't trust it with even a single 40 gallon)

if you could take off the bottom button things on the petco stand and put a piece of thick plywood on the bottom shelf it would probably hold your tanks

if you could take off the bottom button things on the petco stand and put a piece of thick plywood on the bottom shelf it would probably hold your tanks
Ok, thank you. Is there any way I can add some height to the bottom shelf without adding too much weight? Such as some thick styrofoam or something?

You want to put a second tank on the bottom shelf? (sorry; I'm skimming your journal at work :) ) I wouldn't try to build up that bottom shelf; just hold out until you find one that's what you want.

As for weight, unless you're into really big tanks, most floors will support things just fine. With big tanks (say 55g and up) you do want one that will spread the weight out somewhat, but for a couple of medium size tanks on a concrete slab, you shouldn't have any problems.

how are you planning to put another tank on the bottom shelf of the petco stand though
the area of the bottom shelf isn't a standard tank size - you won't be able to put another 40 gallon down there

how are you planning to put another tank on the bottom shelf of the petco stand though
the area of the bottom shelf isn't a standard tank size - you won't be able to put another 40 gallon down there
I have a 20 long. Getting a thick piece of plywood for it to rest on.

a thick piece of plywood is going to cost as much as the stand 🤣
Plywood IS pretty expensive these days! So is everything else.

I have a 20 long. Getting a thick piece of plywood for it to rest on.

My paddy tank, which is kind of a 15ish long, is about an inch longer than the stand it sits on. I got a 1" thick board, painted it the same color as the stand, and it supports the overhang. As long as the overhang isn't too long and the board is nice and thick, it should be fine because the board will distribute the weight. If it's longer than about an inch and a half on a side, I'd start to worry a bit. An engineer could probably tell you the exact dimensions that would be safe, if you happen to know one. :)

I ordered my second and third axolotls this week. Very excited! I have heard that if they have enough space and food they are very unlikely to snack on each others limbs and gills, but if things don’t go well when I introduce them I will keep them tubbed separately until 6 inches.
80D2971E-BA46-4925-BCA7-1F4C955C1823.png
916D52B9-B55D-45C3-B9EE-FEFF2B55D57A.png

Above are the two new ones who have not shipped, and below is my current one in my tank and the photo from the listing. His gills are not as fluffy as they were when I got him, but I think it is because the temps weren’t right (I fixed that. I had to wait for an extension cord to my fan for it to work). His gills are getting fluffier now that I have the tank at 64F. I am planning on getting some Seachem Replenish or Equilibrium to raise the GH as well before the new ones come. My grandparents are getting me the golden albino for my birthday:wub:
5855D177-B80C-4709-97D8-B782417B2EF6.jpeg

1FEFD6A2-D937-4838-A9FB-B32ACFF70147.png

If it's longer than about an inch and a half on a side, I'd start to worry a bit. An engineer could probably tell you the exact dimensions that would be safe, if you happen to know one. :)
OK, I just have to respond to myself and say I was completely full of beans, here. My tank actually sticks out a good 2" past the edges of the aquarium stand. And it's fine. But really, I wouldn't want to take it much further than that. So. Don't feel bad if you don't take my advice TOO seriously. I obviously don't take it too seriously either.

You're starting quite the axolotl farm, there!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back