Oldest Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Welcome to TFF. Lots of helpful member here.
That's quite an old fish. What is the average age they live to?
Please vote in our Pet of the Month contest that features 11 awesome cute pets. Just click on the banner at the top of the forums to view the entries and then cast your vote.
Enjoy our forums.

Any chance of a photo?
IMG_20200927_164024498.jpg

I bought four Silver Dollar fish when I graduated college. Two lived about 10 years, one about 15, and my last one is still going strong. He is currently in his third tank that is only a 10 gallon. I have had tetras, pictus cats, angel fish, and various algea eaters in the same tank but he has outlived then all. I only have a small algea eater in the tank with him now. There hasn't been a heater in the tank in at least 10 years.

So tell us about about his living conditions. What size tank? Temperature? PH? hardness? filter? Plants? Aeration? What do you feed it and how often?

Last edited:
So tell us about about his living conditions. What size tank? Temperature? PH? hardness? filter? Plants? Aeration? What do you feed it and how often?
I do very little other than feed him daily and clean the tank when needed. I vacuum the tank a few times a year and add water about once a month and change the water completely about once per year. My Dollar started in a 35 gallon hex tank but after it started leaking, he has been in two of the cheap 10 gal tanks in my spare bedroom. There has not been a heater in the tank in over 10 years so the water is probably 72 degrees in the summer and 68 degrees in the winter. I have never tested the water PH or hardness. I used a hot tub test strip tonight and the hardness looks to be over 1000 and the PH is below 6.8. I haven't had any plants in the tank in years. I use a Whisper Power Filter over the back of the tank and I give him a small pinch of Wardley Tropical Flakes every morning when I turn his light on.

You must mean your hardness is over 100 (not 1000). Most would not consider that to be ideal conditions but why change want seems to be working in this case.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back