Older Female Guppy with Bent Spine

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
When I say clean the gravel, I mean use a gravel cleaner on the gravel in the aquarium. You leave the gravel in the tank and use the gravel cleaner to suck out any gunk and worms or eggs that have been expelled. There is no reason to remove gravel from an aquarium if you use a gravel cleaner.

-----------------------------
Praziquantel is normally used to treat tapeworm in cats and dogs. I don't know of the dose rates if you use cat and dog pills for fish.

Levamisole is normally used to treat livestock for some types of thread worms.

Most of the guys in the American rainbowfish groups use Flubendazole, which is or was available in the US. Check Amazon for that instead of Praziquantel and Levamisole.

upload_2019-6-9_14-30-25.jpeg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Am I going on a rabbit trail here thinking my fish have worms? Or is it a good guess and worth a shot?

I could get the prazipro but then what if its thread/ round worms?

If I get new fish from pet store in future are they likely to have worms and just infect my tank again?

In Australia we have Levamisole as a liquid. In other parts of the world it is sold in a powder. The link you provided is for the powder form. The following link has information about Levamisole.
https://www.loaches.com/disease-treatment/levamisole-hydrochloride-1/?searchterm=parasites

--------------------------
Livebearers (mollies, guppies, platies, swordtails) are regularly infected with tapeworm, threadworms or both. They get infected at the breeders in Asia where the fish are often kept in sewer ponds or ponds where sewerage and animal waste washes into. The waste encourages algae and other small creatures to flourish and the fish eat them. However, it also introduces other harmful organisms like bacteria and intestinal parasites.

All new fish should be quarantined for at least 2 (preferably 4) weeks and treated for intestinal worms and gill flukes while they are in quarantine. If you don't quarantine new fish, you risk introducing worms, flukes and other diseases into your main tank.

Most fish medications are extremely toxic, however deworming medications are generally very safe for fish and other animals. Treating all new fish and your current fish for intestinal worms is worth doing just to eliminate them from the list of things that could be causing the curved spine.

I don’t believe any of us can answer that. If you want to try everything before putting the fish down, then it is worth it. I still feel it is TB but can’t say for sure. My bff is working on research of fish TB and a lot of guppies are carrying it. Fingers crossed that yours isn’t one of them. I have a Platy in QT right now because he was sitting at the bottom of the tank and not eating. No external signs so I have to think internally. I am treating him for worms in hopes it will help. If that doesn’t work I’ll treat him for a bacterial infection before I give up. He may just be old and time to go. At least I’ll know I did everything that I could for him. Gut instinct is all we have to go on sometimes. That and experience. Good luck.

It may be cruel but for now I am just going to leave it be. Will keep watch and if any other symptoms appear then I will pursue treatment but atm I have no idea what is wrong and overall the guppy seems ok.

Update: If we could figure out something for sure I would treat it here is a video to see the bent spine guppy better, barely visible in video but I saw a different guppy pooping a clearish string, and one of my albino corys just did a weird twitch barrel roll thing, saw it do this three times was able to record one instance. Ok it wont let me upload them says they are too big.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

------------------------
Fish spiralling/ barrel rolling through the water is normally caused by a protozoan or bacterial infection in the brain, usually protozoan.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter materials in a bucket of tank water.

------------------------
Deworming the fish is the only thing I would do now. It is safe for the fish and will rule out intestinal worms as the cause of the curved back. Then just monitor the fish. If they stop eating and do a stringy white poop, euthanise them. Otherwise leave them alone. As long as they are eating well and swimming normally, there is nothing you can do for the other issues anyway.

Here are the three videos I mentioned. I put them on youtube like you suggested.

Also timing kinda sucks but today I go away for two weeks so I may be able to respond here but can't see or do anything with fish.

Sorry about the black bars on 2/3 didn't think of holding the phone different at the time.

The Corydoras is not doing a barrel roll, it is simply rubbing itself on the ornament. If this happens more frequently, then it is probably an external protozoan infection.

Have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks?
If not then it's not likely to be an issue.
If you have added new fish or plants during the last 2 weeks, then it could be the start of white spot.

I can't see anything useful on the other 2 videos. Still pictures are better for showing stringy poop or bent bodies.

If you hold the phone horizontally when filming stuff, it fills the entire screen instead of just the middle :)

I added some floating plants that had pest snails. Also cleaned tank entirely changed almost all water, might have shocked them? That was a week ago. Also about a week ago I added 3 Juili Cories. Thats all I can think of. Yesterday I put some aquarium salt in in hopes of helping fish health wise (put as much as the box said 1 tbs per 5 gallon I think). That was after changing some water.

I cannot get very good pics of my fish yet so I thought video may help a little better.

Here's hoping the new Cories didn't introduce anything to the tank. This is a good reason why all new fish and plants should be quarantined for at least 2 (preferably 4) weeks before they get added to an established tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back