Old Fish Keeper Intro...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Welcome.
Ive six adopted LFWCMM from a family who were moving home and didnā€™t want to take them. My tanks about maxed out at the moment so I may be moving some of the other adoptees on that that Iā€™m both not as keen on and look a bit big for the tank. Replacing them with more female white clouds in time for an above ground summer pond next year with hopefully a WCMM population boom.

@itiwhetu breeds WCMM for profit so heā€™d be the poster to ask any advice from.
Thanks for the advice, I will make contact. I also plan to put some "normal" females in just to see what happens.

Thanks for the advice, I will make contact. I also plan to put some "normal" females in just to see what happens.
Yeah thatā€™s the way to do it apparently. Breeders snap up the normals with the most colourful fins. I had WCMMs in my last tank in the late 90s but never LFs until last year. I love them and they donā€™t require the tank to be heated up! Less expense!

Last edited:
Yeah thatā€™s the way to do it apparently. Breeders snap up the normals with the most colourful fins. I had WCMMs in my last tank in the late 90s but never LFs until last year. I love them and they donā€™t require the tank to be heated up! Less expense!
Yep, I first came across the long finned (meteor minnows) in a magazine in the 50s. Could not find any at the time and just now getting back into the hobby. Didn't expect to have any problems breeding them but who knows what can happen with current commercial breeders. Hope to have a group of them for next spring for an outside, inground pool.
LongFinnedWhiteCloud.jpg

@itiwhetu reckoned he missed some or they hatched after he collected them in for their winter and they survived overnight temps in the minuses and weā€™re only Found alive and well when he was preparing the pond again the following year.
Fish are a lot tougher than I think we give em credit for.

Yep, I first came across the long finned (meteor minnows) in a magazine in the 50s. Could not find any at the time and just now getting back into the hobby. Didn't expect to have any problems breeding them but who knows what can happen with current commercial breeders. Hope to have a group of them for next spring for an outside, inground pool.View attachment 146434
In the 50s!
I had fish from early 70s through to mid 80s then off and on until the late 90s and Iā€™d never heard of long fins until last year.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back