Old Fish Keeper Intro...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

OldFishKeeper

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have kept tropical fish (on and off) since 1955. That, I believe, qualifies me to be an old fish keeper. Started of with guppies (who didn't) as a gift from a friend of my father's.

One two gallon tank which quickly grew to a 5.5 from Sears, then 6 tanks that took up one wall of my 9x12 bedroom. I explained the breeding cycle of guppies to my (4 years older) sister's friends which caused some embarrassment which I didn't understand until later ;).

I moved on to breeding bettas and angels then took many years off to raise a family. Had a few years in the early 2000's raising more guppies and discus then had to give up that to start my own company.

Now, I am retired and getting back into the hobby. I have many tanks from my discuss days but am leaning towards dwarf cichlids, especially German Blue Rams.

I thought it would be fun to breed some Meteor Minnows as they were known back then (long finned white clouds). Problem is, the ones I recently purchased over the internet appear to be triploid or some other form of manipulated strains so I am researching what is going on with that. They have color, long fins and are exhibiting the usual male activities but, of 15, none appear to be females.

So, that's what I am doing and will be doing. If anyone has any info on triploid or other manipulation, let me know.

I have kept tropical fish (on and off) since 1955. That, I believe, qualifies me to be an old fish keeper. Started of with guppies (who didn't) as a gift from a friend of my father's.

One two gallon tank which quickly grew to a 5.5 from Sears, then 6 tanks that took up one wall of my 9x12 bedroom. I explained the breeding cycle of guppies to my (4 years older) sister's friends which caused some embarrassment which I didn't understand until later ;).

I moved on to breeding bettas and angels then took many years off to raise a family. Had a few years in the early 2000's raising more guppies and discus then had to give up that to start my own company.

Now, I am retired and getting back into the hobby. I have many tanks from my discuss days but am leaning towards dwarf cichlids, especially German Blue Rams.

I thought it would be fun to breed some Meteor Minnows as they were known back then (long finned white clouds). Problem is, the ones I recently purchased over the internet appear to be triploid or some other form of manipulated strains so I am researching what is going on with that. They have color, long fins and are exhibiting the usual male activities but, of 15, none appear to be females.

So, that's what I am doing and will be doing. If anyone has any info on triploid or other manipulation, let me know.
Welcome to TFF!
I have 2 White Clouds living with 2 male guppies. Sounds like your WCā€˜s are a lot fancier than mine. Mine were sold at Petco for $2.50 each. The employee pointed them out when I asked for cold fish compatible with the guppy boys.

All I can offer is that over the last decade or so, many fish sellers seem to focus only on what the general public customers want, which is only the pretty male fish.
As a consequence, it appears that you need to search a bit harder for the ladies.

Oh yes...and welcome. ;)

Welcome.
Ive six adopted LFWCMM from a family who were moving home and didnā€™t want to take them. My tanks about maxed out at the moment so I may be moving some of the other adoptees on that that Iā€™m both not as keen on and look a bit big for the tank. Replacing them with more female white clouds in time for an above ground summer pond next year with hopefully a WCMM population boom.

@itiwhetu breeds WCMM for profit so heā€™d be the poster to ask any advice from.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back