Ok To Keep All Male Platys?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

luckyd

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 2 male platys in a tank. One harasses and chases the other. Tonight my female in another tank died and I am considering moving her "mate" in with the other males. But he is smaller than the other two. Would 3 male platys in one tank with no females get along?

I have never seen platies that were especially aggressive with each other. They do sometimes chase each other to establish who is the dominant fish but no real damage seems to result. An all male setup is a bit strange but should work fine. Thee will be no females to become stressed by the excess of males.

I have to contradict this slightly. I have 3 male Platys and my black and white one is a terrible bully, especially to the red one who never fights back (the yellow one does). He'll shoot across the tank to "barge" into him. I'm not sure if any real damage is being done but he hides a lot and kind of "points" up to the surface of the water sometimes. I'm at the point where I'm considering re-homing the bully as I'm out of ideas and though the yellow does do it to the red one a little, I'm convinced he wouldn't if the black and white one wasn't there.

Thanks everyone. It looks like perhaps I should try it and see how it goes. The one dominant platy chases the smaller one away from food but you're right that there's never any actual damage.

I know it's a little weird to keep 3 males, but I originally moved the female out to keep from being harrassed. Then a juvi male grew up and started chasing her. Now that she's not around to provide a distraction, he's eyeing the two babies left from her last batch and licking his chops, so I want to get him out. Of course, there are four more babies in other tanks so we'll see where it all leads!

Lol I don't see why it's weird. It's the obvious thing to do if you like Platys but don't want fry. Unless you mean strange for them which lol yeah it prob is when you think about it. :)

I think that you can get rogue male platies that can be unusually aggressive.
Most of mine have been just fine, but I once had a male, not too big, who
enjoyed harassing 2 smaller females, treating them entirely different to other larger females
also in the tank.
One of the smaller females refused to be cowed by him, and grew to become a fully mature fish.
The other used to try and hide away - and eventually died of stress, entirely brought on
by the male.
I passed him on in the end and for a while just kept females - which they seemed to appreciate ! :lol:

Lol, you do have to wonder if they know what they're missing!

I made the switch tonight. The males already in the tank were instantly curious and waited around while I acclimated the new guy. When we finally let him go, they all checked each other out, swimming together and occasionally bumping noses. So far, so good! And the baby platies in the other tank are breathing a sigh of relief! :good:

That's what I'm worried about, Red Platy dying of stress. But then you'd think he'd hide more if he was that bothered wouldn't you. and he'd try and stay away from them too. But then there is the pointing thing which I'm sure I read is a sign of bullying. Sometimes he sees them coming and backs away too.

That's what I'm worried about, Red Platy dying of stress. But then you'd think he'd hide more if he was that bothered wouldn't you. and he'd try and stay away from them too. But then there is the pointing thing which I'm sure I read is a sign of bullying. Sometimes he sees them coming and backs away too.
Hi Twinklecaz, I just joined this forum to ask you what you did with this situation? I know it was a long time ago for you but, I have this exact problem now. Not sure what to do and I hate seeing my little blue platy being bullied. I’d love your advice, thanks

Hi Twinklecaz, I just joined this forum to ask you what you did with this situation? I know it was a long time ago for you but, I have this exact problem now. Not sure what to do and I hate seeing my little blue platy being bullied. I’d love your advice, thanks

Might get informative answers quicker if you start a thread about it in the live-bearers section you found this thread in =P.

If you did start a thread and I didn't see it before replying to ya my apologies.

So you also have a male platy you need to move in with 2 other male platys in a different tank? Be sure to include as much info. As ya can in your thread ^.^

Might get informative answers quicker if you start a thread about it in the live-bearers section you found this thread in =P.

If you did start a thread and I didn't see it before replying to ya my apologies.

So you also have a male platy you need to move in with 2 other male platys in a different tank? Be sure to include as much info. As ya can in your thread ^.^
Hi, thanks for writing, I was searching on google when I came across this post and it sounded like Twinklecaz was experiencing the same issue albeit it 10 years ago!
I think you’re right. I will start a post, thanks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back