Ok, Someone Asked For A List Of My Corys

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

They sell C.Julii at my lfs for 4 dollars. That petstore is my favorite.
Hi. I believe you mean that they sell Corys that they "call" C. julii. At $4, they are not C. julii. They are most likely C. trilineatus, which generally sell in the $4 range and are the Cory most often mislabeled as C. julii.

Remember, you can take a pig, put a dress on it, name it Sally and teach it to dance for a night out on the town. When all's said and done - it's still a pig. - :rolleyes: Frank

4 x c.Julii
Hi Spooky. Would you happen to have a pic of your C. julii? I have been keeping fish for 50 years and have never seen one. I'm not doubting you, just interested in seeing what one looks like, that is not in a book. :drool: - Frank
So, I guess that' a "no" on the C. julii, pic, ay? Oh, well. The search continues. :sad: - Frank

So, Frank, are you suggesting that the fish you photographed were not juliis?

So, Frank, are you suggesting that the fish you photographed were not juliis?
Hi. This was purchased as C. julii. It is not. - Frank

Attachments

• c_trilineatus_1a.jpg
    c_trilineatus_1a.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 75
the photo looked different though, if you check the link I gave you. It had brown spots not black spots therefore it couldnt be a varied form of the trilineatus. Well this what I believe.

the photo looked different though, if you check the link I gave you. It had brown spots not black spots therefore it couldnt be a varied form of the trilineatus. Well this what I believe.
What your eyes perceive as brown spots vs. black spots can be caused by general health issues, stress, a fish that is not fully acclimated, type and intensity of lighting and the quality of the photography. Additionally, C. trilineatus are one on the most variable species we encounter, so, giving them the name C. julii is a very common mistake made by people who are only capable of taking the name that the exporter uses on their list and quoting it as gospel.

Additionally, using the term "couldn't be" is not useful in these type of discussions. I have learned that something "can be" whether we think so or not. These are esoteric discussions with plenty of room for error. I am in no way saying that one party is right and the other wrong. That will not be proven to anyone's satisfaction. One person's C. trilineatus is another's C. julii. We will never know for sure, but my "belief" is based on putting the two specimens side by side and basing my conclusion on what I see in front of me. Additionally, I always seek out the most knowledgeable people I know for their expert opinion, to refute or support my "guess.". Because they are so knowledgeable, they will be the first to admit that they could be wrong by a mile. That's the mark of a true expert. Someone who can readily admit that they could be wrong.

With all of that being said, I feel that if you were to see a picture of a "true" C. julii, you would agree that the specimen in my pic is not of that specie, but in reality a juvenile C. trilineatus, as I have chosen to label it. I could be wrong, but I don't "believe" I am. My ID has been corroborated by an individual who's opinion I value, respect and trust above all others.

As in most of these discussions we will just have to agree to disagree. It is never my aim to be confrontational in these discussions. It is always my aim to attempt to share the knowledge of 50+ years of raising tropical fish, in an effort to help others become better informed hobbyist. It is always my hope that the information imparted, is received in the same spirit with which it was proffered. Sadly, that is not always the case.

Peace.

Frank

This discussion seems to be set on an endless tape and crops up as regular as clock work on every forum I have ever been on.

C. julii from the type locality, Rio Parniba Eastern Central Brazil. This species are normally exported out of Belem.
corydoras_julii_species_large.jpg

C. julii. Ian Fuller

C. trilineatus is a fairly wide spread species, which is found in northern Peru, Ecuador, Southern Colombia and Eastern Brazil. There is approximately 2.5 thousand miles between the the ranges of the two species.
corydoras_trilineatus_male_species_large.jpg

C. trilineatus. Ian Fuller

The two images show the two species in their extreme colour patterns and it is more than possible that these colour pattern will be varied and even overlap, giving rise to the difficulty in visually separating the them. There is a slight difference in body shape with C. julii have a slightly deeper and more rounded head shape, but then again we must allow for variability. This is why knowing at least where the fish have been exported from, will give a clue as to their identity.

Most if not all SA exporters will list this fish as C. julii simply because the name is catchy and sells better.

Ian

So there's your long coveted firsthand(?) picture of a C.julii, Frank. :p
Hi. lol. Well, I was very much aware of this pic, but since it is located on a site that requires membership, for you to view, I could not refer anyone to it. I believe that now it is easy for all to see that there are quite noticeable differences, even to the untrained eye and that the fish in my piccy is indeed a juvenile C. trilineatus. Thanks. - Frank

So there's your long coveted firsthand(?) picture of a C.julii, Frank. :p
Hi. lol. Well, I was very much aware of this pic, but since it is located on a site that requires membership, for you to view, I could not refer anyone to it. I believe that now it is easy for all to see that there are quite noticeable differences, even to the untrained eye and that the fish in my piccy is indeed a juvenile C. trilineatus. Thanks. - Frank

oh christ, im sorry Frank. I thought you just wanted to confirm if i had Julii or not. i didnt realise you just wanted to see a pick of them.

If you want to see more pics check this out....

http://www.nettaigyo.com/corydoras/encyc/c...oras/julii.html

there are also lots of Ians pics on there as well for many of the corys listed on the site

I think the point is that Frank wants to see someone produce a firsthand pic of their own julii, just as you surmised originally, SpOOky. In other words, lots of people have juliis, but no one can produce a picture of them. Well, I state things a little more directly than Frank perhaps, but I think that's the jist of it. But Frank can speak for himself.

Or are you having a go, SpOOky? I forgot your sense of humor. I suppose I fell right in. Sigh

Yes, the differences are obvious in Ian's piccies. I gather though that those pics are chosen for that very purpose. Still the face on the julii is just adorable. Such a nice high intelligent forehead. :lol:

I think the point is that Frank wants to see someone produce a firsthand pic of their own julii, just as you surmised originally, SpOOky. In other words, lots of people have juliis, but no one can produce a picture of them. Well, I state things a little more directly than Frank perhaps, but I think that's the jist of it. But Frank can speak for himself.

Or are you having a go, SpOOky? I forgot your sense of humor. I suppose I fell right in. Sigh

Yes, the differences are obvious in Ian's piccies. I gather though that those pics are chosen for that very purpose. Still the face on the julii is just adorable. Such a nice high intelligent forehead. :lol:

no no no. I just thought Frank wanted to see a pic after his reply to Ian's post. Having looked at mine, they are trilis. But i am going to order some Julii AND trilis from my importer and see what turns up ;)

no no no. I just thought Frank wanted to see a pic after his reply to Ian's post. Having looked at mine, they are trilis. But i am going to order some Julii AND trilis from my importer and see what turns up ;)
Hi. jollysue was right on the money. It was not meant to challenge you, but to prove a point. :rolleyes: - Yes, please order both and see what happens. I believe we would all be interested in seeing what you get, after driving this thread into the ground. - Frank

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back