Ok Just Got This

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nevergone815

Fish Herder
Reaction score
ok i just got this "assorted new world cichlid" from my local lfs. i asked what kind they were as they looked like a hybrid. well the guy told me that someone called him up and sdaid he has some jack dempseys for the store. the yguy at the petstore didn't think it was a jack dempsey, as some looked more like firemouths, some looked like convicts (verticle striping and color), some looked more like jack dempseys, some where darker some where lighter, some were darker and some were a combo of a bunch of traits. i agree with the guy at the pet store, but i was hoping you guys could help me more define it.

i postd this in the hybrid sectio nand got little responses so i hope that you guys might be able to help me more.

I will post more pics after he is done acclimating, these pics are taken right as i got home and wanted your guys' opinions. he is going into my 55 gal and he is about 3-4"

*note- i'm using a freinds photobucket so don't think anything funny*

Duke002.jpg

Duke001.jpg

ok i got more pics of him, he was very aggressive in the bag and actually tore a whole in it and it started to leak. ths got me a little worried, but once he got into the tank he mellowed out and is actually hiding. he is always under cover and looks so terrified, even the timid JD i got in with them scares him and my JD is the biggest wimp in the tank. he sits on the pleco and is underneath the plants hiding in the cave thingy.

here are some more pics.

the first one shows his metallic sheen better and the blue dots in his fins. he also has a blue rim around the edges of the fins.

Duke005.jpg

Duke004.jpg

Duke003.jpg

hope these pics help more

The dorsal fin looks a bit spiney and greenish in colour. That reminds me a lot of a perch (common in coarse fishing ponds & some rivers in england. I wouldn't have thought that you would get one from a lfs but if they have been brought in by someone you never know.

Have you touched him? Does he feel prickly? Are the dorsal 'spines' sharp?

The perch we catch grow quite large and are aggressive feeders even when nsmall (I've caught them1.5 inchs long on a bunch of 3 maggots & they've swallowed them right down within seconds of the bait hitting the water. They CAN'T be species but is there a tropical species similar?

Looks lioke you may have used a flash in the tank photos as the colour is 'washed out' and there appears to be 'flare' on the glass.

Try again with the flash off & see if you get better shot.

Hey, I really don't think he's a perch, He's feels just like my JB parrot, here are a couple more pics of him. He was listed as an "assorted south american cichlid" The guy at the pet store said the guy who brought him in said he was a jack dempsey, but the guy at the petstore thinks he some cross with convicts, jack dempsey, possibly fire mouths, none of us are really sure. Thats why he didn't advertise them as dempseys, because he thought he looked like some kind of hybrid.

Heres a pic with the flash
Duke006.jpg

Heres a pic with no flash
Duke007.jpg

No real difference

and heres a pic of a young common perch, just to compare
perch.jpg

its pattern looks kinda like my FMs. no red under the lower jaw?

no there is no red at all under the mouth. thats what makes it weird. he looks like he has a little of them all in him (i dont even know if its a him yet). but thanks for the help. keep it coming as i would like to know what exactly it is so i can kind of get a feel of what the temperment might be and howlarge it possibly could grow to. also what my options in breeding it might be.

if i never find out its ok either way. i just would like to know.

Looks to me like a convict, or convict hybrid.. The face is a little oddly shaped for a convict if you ask me.. It could very well just be a convict, but there's always a chance there's something else in it.

kinda looks like a sajica (T bar cichlid) crossed with a firemouth.

looking at pics on google about the sajica it could be that cross.

his body seems really thin to be a sajica though. but that could be the firemouth in him.

is there any way that all of these fish are in him:

-convict
-jack dempsey
-firemouth

is it possible to just breed out the offspring and this is what they got? because he shows signs of all these fish.

-he has the verticle stripes of the convict and general body shape
-his body has that metallic sheen that my jack dempsy has along with the yellowish dot on it's side and the light blue metallic "dots" in the fins
-and his mouth definately looks like a firemouths mouth and the verticle striping going down it's body

*note* i don't know if it is a male or female... how would i tell on these? i might just get a fish of the opposite gender the next time i go and breed them and see what i get. this will release the genes into the offspring and we should theoretically get some that look like the parents then some of each of whatever it's crossed with, right?

someone suggested somewhere else that flowerhorn may be present... is this possible?

the sajica is a possibilty too...

def no JD... firemouths have blue/green sparkle things on them tho... pretty sre it has sum FM in him and firemouths have spot like stripes on them 2. they get more defined as they age... its head looks kinda lyk a convict AND a FM...

I would say convict cross ...

I thrown at what the other fish in him are though due to the spikey dorsal fin.

Wait till he / she reaches 5inches and colours to develop and it should be a little easier.

Hi, I wasn't trying to say that he WAS a perch, just that he looked a bit like one. It was the spiney looking dorsal fin & the greenish (but that could just be the lighting) barred appearance that reminded me of a perch. I did say he couldn't be that species (perch common to ponds & rivers) but was there a tropical species.

Certainly doesn't look enough like any convict C I've seen. I've searched fishbase for perch and couldn't find any that looked similar (to him or the common perch for that matter) but the list of perch-like fish is long.

Does the dorsal fin have spines or does it just look like it has?

personally, when i saw him, i thought he looked like a texas/convict combo.

texas:
01%20cichlid_TEXAS.jpg

convict:
convict.jpg

your fish:
Duke006.jpg

he also somewhat resembles a juvenile jaguar cichlid

no lol he does not, this IS my juvenile jaguar called angelus
4.png

nothing alike, when i seen him i thought DOVII or some kind of Guapote.
i admit he looks sajica-esque

BUT this is a sajica convict hybrid *Note* my crap camera skills, he actually has bright red and blue finniage when mating. (his offspring are him+jade eye and they all have bright blue and red fins with blue eyes and banded bodys. definate sajica gene )
5.png

ive seen both the parent fish and that is definetely a sajica convict hybrid.
so thats outa the question.
try and get some google info on " guapote's " the carnivorous cichlids of S.A. im sure something will come up.
regards tuurlijk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back