Oil Cooled Pc, Re Use A Old Fish Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Wow it looks like cracy... What was the cost of building it?

An old pc a fish tank and a bunch of mineral oil.

Prob about 100 to 200 dollars plus PC.

I have seen similar set ups a couple of years back and looks real cool.

Also saw some set ups that included water cooled pipes and other trickerys, don't ask me how but a couple of members on here at the time set that up on their PC's and it was pretty amazing at the time.

Certainly way beyond my PC skills and budget anyhow but as a electronic engineer myself its kinda fascinating :lol:

The idea behind these setups is that the heat from the PD transfers heat to the oil and then travels through the wall of the aquarium and then heats the water. One word of caution. for a small aquarium not much heat is needed to maintain a stable 78 degrees. On my 5 gallon I monitored the power consumption of my heater in the past and found it only needed about 7 watt hours a day. The laptop I am typing on right now is consuming 20watts per hour. That is a factor of 3 higher in one hour of what my aquarium uses in one day.

I have seen this type of setup a number of times on the web but I have never seen the temperature of the water.

There is no water its all mineral oil.

In the video you linked to it is all oil and no fish. Others separate the tank into two compartments one with computer and oil and the other water and fish.

Many people in a fish forum would be thinking of putting fish in the tank
And I would be surprised if someone tried putting fish in mineral oil filled aquarium.

I don't personally see either as interesting. However if I had a two compartment tank I would fill the computer compartment with florinert or novec cooling fluids. These fluids actually will boil in the heat generated by the CPU. The top of the CPU compartment would be sealed with a aluminum sheet to prevent evaporation of the fluid (it isn't cheap). Most of the heat would be lost by the aluminum to air and the rest would hopefully be enough to heat the fish tank without over heating the water .and the boiling fluid might make a good background effect.

cool thing though. for like a desk at work or something, wouldn't put fish in it or Anything living though.

What if you put fish in a aquarium filled with prime?
It would kill the fish, The only reason this works is because mineral oil is a poor conductor of electricity.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back