Ohio River

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RyanTheFishGuy64

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, a couple months ago, my dad bought an apartment building near the ohio river. The building was built in the 1800's and he wants some pictures of it from back then to put in the "lobby" He wants the "lobby" area to really stand out and show the building's past. I suggested to put in a fish tank that has Ohio River Plants, Fish, Inverts, etc. When I research for this stuff, all I find is fish that need 200g+ but im looking at around a 55g. What do you guys think? Any stocking ideas? Possibly small schooling fish?

Thanks

I would say you lose a little bit of flare by not stocking some I the river's larger fishes. Maybe just framed pictures or taxidermied specimens to put on the wall near the tank? It sounds like you're limited to smaller schooling fishes, some inverts, and plants. But a nice planted tank would be cool. I really like the whole idea though! Please share pics when it's being put up / finalized! :)

I will! But in the mean time, Im trying to find something that can be stocked. So if anyone has any stocking advice, thatd be great.

I can't help you with specific species, but if you contact a local university's biology/ecology department, I'm sure you'll get some better direction.  Ultimately, these are the folks who will be the most informed about the local flora and fauna of the river.   

Short of that, I'd suggest checking your local tributaries, and ironically, local fishermen.  Go to the local bait shop and have a long conversation with the owner there (I assume the owner will have much better information than the cashier, etc.).   And, hang out there for a bit (early morning, of course) and you'll have a line of local fisherman coming and going and they should be able to give you some good information about the fish, at least.  

In fact, you might be able to stock the tank with the local 'bait fish' as these are probably locally sourced... and at a ridiculously low price.  

It sounds like a GREAT project, and I wait for pics.... 
photo.gif

because I like this emoticon
kewlpics.gif
 , but can't use it here... yet.

RyanTheFishGuy64 said:
So, a couple months ago, my dad bought an apartment building near the ohio river. The building was built in the 1800's and he wants some pictures of it from back then to put in the "lobby" He wants the "lobby" area to really stand out and show the building's past. I suggested to put in a fish tank that has Ohio River Plants, Fish, Inverts, etc. When I research for this stuff, all I find is fish that need 200g+ but im looking at around a 55g. What do you guys think? Any stocking ideas? Possibly small schooling fish?

Thanks
Probably not shoaling fish, but I found a group of fish called darters that might fit the bill. Theres a page for native American fish here http://www.nanfa.org/

redside dace look good too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back