Oh my

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bshockstubb

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well, just got back from walmart and had a little cruise down the fish isle....they had dyed jellybean cichlids and clown knives there! Oh no! what will they sell next!

I saw the dyed jellybeans at my lfs...they look so wrong :( I can't understand why anybody would buy them.

It is Inhumane & just plain wrong to dye fish. But as long as there are people buying them they will be dying them. :angry: If everyone who cares complains to the manager of the store they are sold in it might make a difference.

If they can make a buck from it then they wont stop selling them. Only way to battle this is through spreading the knowledge. In the WalMart I tend to visit, the fish section is never staffed. Maybe write something a little info down on a sticky note and put it on the tank? Of course it will be removed once spotted by an employee but several customers will see it before hand.

Turq said:
Maybe write something a little info down on a ticky note and put it on the tank? Of course it will be removed once spotted by an employee but several customers will see it before hand.
not if you put a little superglue on the back... :devil:

bshockstubb said:
Well, just got back from walmart and had a little cruise down the fish isle....they had dyed jellybean cichlids and clown knives there! Oh no! what will they sell next!
Half-dead or sick and mistreated bettas.

OH wait, they already sell those.
Nevermind.

For the most part, people that buy dyed fish are beginners that think they are pretty and don't have any idea how they get that way. I can understand why Walmart sells them...they are just after your money and couldn't possibly care less about the fish. I don't understand why true LFSs sell them because those people know better and should be trying to educate their customers. I will not go in a Walmart because I feel so bad for the fish and there isn't any thing I can do for them so I just stay away.

Man, they look horrbile! Everything is wrong there!

rdd1952 said:
For the most part, people that buy dyed fish are beginners that think they are pretty and don't have any idea how they get that way. I can understand why Walmart sells them...they are just after your money and couldn't possibly care less about the fish. I don't understand why true LFSs sell them because those people know better and should be trying to educate their customers. I will not go in a Walmart because I feel so bad for the fish and there isn't any thing I can do for them so I just stay away.
So true, a while back I took my wife, who knows very little about fish other than what types we have and some basic care stuff to the LFS. We saw some sort of Glass Barb that was dyed and she said

. "Can we get some of those? They're cool".
I said " Those are injected with color in cruel ways and usually die"

She scrunched her nose and said "Why would they dye fish?"

And I said "You liked them right? So do alot of people who don't know how it gets like that"

She said "Oh, nevermind"

We got a clown pleco instead. It's her fish, "Mr. Wiggles" is his name. Bless her heart.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back