Oh, My Gosh, Finally A Progress

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

snazy

Moved On
Reaction score
I just can't believe it. My old cat and the new puppy jack russel got into one bed together for the first time :hyper:

So the story is.... I am a cat lover, my partner hates cats and is a dog lover. We've had the cat for over 5 years and a couple of months ago we decided on an impulse jack rusell puppy treat. So now we have Shrek the cat and Angie a beatiful Jack Russell Puppy who is about 5 and a half months old now.

After getting the puppy, I really freaked out with stories on internet about Jack Russells killing household cat friends.
It hasn't been an uneventfull story at all. The puppy is a very bossy dog, really stubborn. I had a jack russell years ago and she was a doll. This one started chasing the cat from the very beginning and we have been trying to stop it. Poor Shrek the cat started hiding under the table and other places where he at least got his back covered from a possible sudden attack. The puppy, who turned out to be a bigger jack russell breed, doesn't seem to be biting the cat or anything. If she gets hold of the cat she just licks his ears mad and tries to play. But the chasing part still awakens some of those instincts jack russells have been bred for to kill smaller fluffy animals. I keep reading that this breed is hard to accept a cat as part of the pack and are dangerous to cats regardless so the chasing should be stopped from the very beginning. The cat is giving in and not holding leadership which encourages the puppy further. I think even the slaps the cat gave the dog were just clawless panicky ones.

The cat is trained better than a dog, never gets on sofa, furniture, bedrooms or beds. Though he opens the fridge when he gets hungry :lol: .He has his own cat tree and if he is not there, he normally sleeps on his back with 4 paws up in the air and fully belly exposed. Now this has not happened since we got the puppy, I guess self protective behaviour. Years ago I bought tried several beds for him but he never liked sleeping in one so I binned them. All of a sudden, since we got the puppy Angie, I started finding Shrek the cat into the puppy bed after coming back from walks with the dog. Like all new owners, we also started letting the puppy stay on the sofa with us and Shrek the cat would use the opportunity to sneak into the dog bed instead. So I went ahead and bought a second bed thinking Shrek is finding this particular model bed very comfy. I also read that swapping the cat and dog bed will get them to get used of each other's smell so I have been doing this for a while.

All of a sudden, since Shrek the cat started seeing Angie the dog on the sofa, he got jealous and has been persistent to also go on the sofa. This is after 5 years of him never sleeping and never trying to come on the sofa. Don't get me wrong with the "not allowed on sofa" thing, but this particular cat has a hair issue. I brush him twice a week and his hairs are everywhere, really hard to clean. He is a ball of fluff and I adore him regardless. I love to munch him and pet him but anything he touches gets hair all over, the curtains on the window look like cats themselves as he is there most of the time observing the world outside.

Tonight, the cat arrived on the sofa again. So I just picked up his bed and put it next to me on the sofa so he doesn't get an idea with getting himself all purred up on the cushions. Then an hour later the dog arrived and fell asleep on my other side. In a while I had to get up for something, leaving the two enemies alone on the sofa and of course the dog woke up and went straight for the cat bed on the other side of the sofa. I thought, oh no, Shrek please stand up for yourself and don't let a 5 month old puppy kick you out. This is normally what happens, the cat runs away and the puppy start chasing him. But not to be this time!!! The pupply circled the bed three times, then dropped into the bed next to the cat with his #16##### up the cat face :lol: The cat looked like he was lying on nails for a while and I though he'd jump out but he relaxed, curled up and the two are happily asleep together at the moment :hyper:

I am so happy. It may seem like nothing but I really want them to get on with each other more than just staring from different sides of the room or chasing around and this is a huge progress. Hope it continues.

Cute!!!! Glad to hear its finally working out, I know how you feel though... but you should find from now on that they tolerate each other better, even if in a grumpy way!

I have a lurcher who is now 6 and a cat who is now 15, obviously we have had the cat a loooooonnng time before getting our first dog and being a lurcher... you know what they are like.. the cat runs then the dog will chase. All the dog wants to do is play chase and lick the cat, we trust her with our cat bt slightly less so with cats she doesnt know.

But it has taken nearly 5 years for them both to share a bed and the first time we all just sat there gawping as the cat strolled up to the dog, sniffed her ear (in a really rude kind of way, like she was whispering nasty things in the dogs ears lol) and then walked over to the free bit of bed and curled up! The poor dog just kept looking from the cat to us and to the cat again!

Now they often share a bed in the evening, the cat is definately boss though! If the cat doesnt want to share, she will kick the dog off the bed and lay down on the big duvet and the dog curls up in the fleece basket.

Animals are funny things!

Mine are the other way around. At the moment, the dog seems to be the boss and she wants to boss us around too, she's a hard case. :look:

Angie the puppy tried to get into Shrek's bed today 3 times, but couldn't resist licking the cat's ears in the process so he kept running away for her.

dscf1243o.jpg

dscf1244y.jpg

dscf1245ud.jpg

dscf1247v.jpg

And this is what she does to Shrek the cat:

dscf1249es.jpg

dscf1250sp.jpg

My old kitty Shrek died last night of kidney infection and what the vet explained to be a large unoperable malignant bladder tumor that had stopped him from going to the toilet, causing an internal poisoning as well in the last few days of his life. He died alone in the Vets..
cry1.gif
It took less than a week from me noticing he is not ok to him dying. The last picture I took of him sleeping with the dog. Can't even look at it without crying.

dscf3305y.jpg

I am so so sorry to hear that :( What a terrible loss :( At least he would have known that the vets were doing everything they could to try and help him feel better..and at least it doesnt sound like he suffered as it was so fast...

That is a beautiful photo!!

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss, snazy :-(

Deepest condolences.

Thanks. I miss him so much I can't believe it.

Sorry about your cat, at least Shrek isn't suffering anymore. Think of what a good life you gave your cat too, I know how hard it is as I lost my first beagle to kidney failure at the age of 7, heart wrenching!!
I love your profile picture btw, really shows your cat had a great character!
May I also say what a handsome dog you have there, almost looks like a beagle cross (I have a beagle)
I know it's hard at the moment, but you did what you could for Shrek, I'm sure the nurses were making a real fuss of Shrek too, I always had them out for a big cuddle when staying over night on night duties.

So sorry xx

I am sorry for your loss. Your kitty looks so very happy in her pics, I know that she had a good life!

Thank you all. Trying not to come back to this thread because seeing the picture makes me cry. I think I won't be able to look at the pictures for a while. He could have lived double what he lived and even more. He was only about 6 years old probably. I got him from the animal shelter in either 2005 or 2006, I can't remember. He was 7 months old then I was told.
He was such a well behaved and loving cat, I adored him. He used to even wait for me in front of the toilet until I came out. The only fault he had was opening the fridge and not closing it after himself :)

Oh Snazy, I'm so sorry :( It's so difficult to loose them at any time, but to not have any warning at all is the worst
bye2.gif

Most reactions

Back