April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BettaMomma

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Went to PetSmart to get Jasper a plant.
I wish I never had.
I saw a betta in the 4-level plant thing - where each level down is a tad bit shorter than the previous one, where all the water flows from top to bottom and several plants are planted in the water inside... Anyway - in the second from the top one is a teeny lowly little betta. Normally that wouldn't be such a big deal, but the current was kinda blowing him around, and there were so many plants in it he didn't have tons of room to swim so he was hovering in the corner. Not only that, but there was a large fish - she said it was a tadpole - :blink: whatever - it looked like a monstrous tadpole - patrolling the water in the next level down - and should mr. betta have ventured over by the 1.5 foot area where the water falls over into the next level down (where mr. tadpole was) he'd have gotten swept down into it. SO, I asked her if she'd mind cupping him and told her why. She said "Well, this IS the fountain of youth for bettas..." I cut her off and told her to take him out. She grabs a net, scoops him up and proceeds to promptly turn around, and in her haste she ended up flinging the poor boy a couple of feet into the air and he landed on the ground. I stood there with my mouth hanging open. she put the net down onto the floor and scooped him back into the net - then ran water into a plastic box and dumped him in. THEN she squirted dechlor in.

I stood there with my mouth hanging open for a good 20 seconds - and then she looked at me and said "Um, is there something I should do for him now that he's not in the plant water anymore..." I said "Um, well since he just took a pretty major fall, you probably want to get..." and she cut me off and said "I am NOT a malicious person - I did NOT do that on purpose..." and I started to say "I'm not saying that you did but..." and she cut me off again.

I just turned around and walked out.
I, of COURSE, called the manager when I got into my car, I was STEAMING. Then I was sad and mad at myself for leaving the poor boy there. (To those who are wondering, you probably all are, the boy looked amazingly well and was swimming around almost instantly after having been dumped into the box of water or I'd have INSISTED that she bag him for me immediately and he'd have come along with me)

I will go back after work and check on him, and might just have found my new occupant for Jack's tank. *sigh* I just keep doing things to make their lives better and it is seeming to have the opposite effect lately! I'll get it right one of these times! :/

dont worrie betat momma, if he seemed pretty healthy he will be ok, bettas are alot tougher than we give em credit for, iv had them jump and fall 7 feet to the floor an be perfectly fine. dont feel bad, you made a differance by removeing him from that death trap :thumbs:

and dont be too upset at the lady working there, most of them are teenagers like myslelf and know nothing about fish, they are like dumb animals, they juse follow masters orders :lol: i never shop petsmart anyway, every time i go i feel bad about all the animals being in the sick conditions that they are in :unsure: .

btw (off topic): the beaver dam walmart that i had u complain about has just quit selling bettas :D sweet victory! ^_^ ty very much ;)

GuppyDude said:
btw (off topic): the beaver dam walmart that i had u complain about has just quit selling bettas :D sweet victory! ^_^ ty very much ;)
:hyper:
Holy crap, are you serious?

THAT'S SWEET.
That made my day a whole lot better.

This person was probably mid twenties, not too far off from my age. She should have known better. And I wasn't really all that concerned about him because he seemed to be okay after the fall - but I was REALLY pissed off about her attitude.

I'm pretty sure that if I had stayed there for a long time I would have tackled her and pulled her hair. :unsure: Hence, the reason I left when I did.

:p

It really makes you wonder if they train these people at all. :angry: I can understand a new employee not knowing everything about every item in a LFS, but lets get real!!!! They should at least know how to net a fish and transfer it safely. You're a better person that I am. My hubby would have probably been bailing me out of jail over that one. :grr:

Seriously - I knew I had to get out of that store immediately.

She was making me so mad I was shaking - but on the outside I was cool as a cucumber. I smiled to myself as I walked out to my car, though. I could NOT wait to call her manager and tell on her. The manager was pissed - and said she was going to have a talk with her *IMMEDIATELY*.

Speaking of managers, while I was on the phone with her, we also got into a discussion of one girl who worked there up until a few weeks ago. The manager remembered me, and I remembered her - and I asked her if the girl I called in to complain about had been trained yet in how to take care of bettas (I called in to complain cuz this girl was dumping them into a large bucket from about 2 feet up, slamming them around, catching them w/nets and shoving them into their cups, then dumping in about 20 pellets per fish).

Apparently she got fired the next day. :whistle:

I just love being a hag.

Is that wrong?

No WONDER all of my girls are that way... they get it from their mommy. :*)

BettaMomma said:
No WONDER all of my girls are that way... they get it from their mommy. :*)
:rofl:
Sometimes that's what you have to do to get things done!!

If the tadpole was as big as you say, it was probably a bullfrog tadpole and those suckers eat anything they can fit in their mouths, so you did a good job saving that little betta; both from the tadpole and the current :flex:

BTW... fountain of youth for bettas?? what?? :lol:

Yeah, what a knob.
She probably thought I was a newbie and knew nothing.

The tadpole was oh.. probably 2.5" long and his head was the size of a dime.
He was swimming around there like he was lookin for something to eat.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back