Oh man Please help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

evaDsIcixelsiD

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok...so i think i have a problem....i have a breeding pair of convicts in my 55 gallon...i also have 2 firemouths which seem to be a pair...and im almost posotive the female is laying eggs on a rock as i type this..... And my female convict is laying eggs too.....i think my tank might break out into a giant war or something. Any idea on what to do?

Thanks
-Dave

i guess the only thinkg you can do is hope they will stay out of each others way. In my 112g, I had a breeding pair of cons, an oscar, severum and blood parrot, and the cons had managed to keep the others to 1/3 of the tank... so just keep an eye out, but u may need to seperate them.

nah,i dont think he would DB :p

firemouth can even be kept with LARGER community fish IME.
i would get a devider and devide it in half so each pair has the same amount of space(27.5gals?)which should be enough for both

HTH

DD

DannyBoy17 said:
Dwarfs said:
I'd be more worried about the cons beating up the firemouths, FMs aren't very good at being nasty -_-
You'd be suprised ;)

--Dan
I've seen FMs "Fight", and it usually doesn't even get as bad as a peck on the fin. They flare their gills and put on a huge aggressive display, and that usually works to scare enemies away. Convicts however, will rip other fish apart, should they have to fight.

I'll go with the flow!

I have adult Jade-eyes that get severe hassle from two of my baby cons!

The Jade-eyes are about 3", baby Cons around 3/4".

Cons win every dispute bar none!

I vote Firemouths loose.

Not wishing to hijack, but kinda reminds me of the great T-bar versus rest of tank war I had recently. Breeding Cichlids are mad looney things. They all want to fight. It's fun to watch though. I just dive in when it all gets too silly for the health of the looser.

Tank divider is a safe bet. B)

Sub.

I have a breeding pair of cons now with fry in a tank with silver dollars, a lone angel fish ,and 4 other adults convicts . Have also had a pair with two firemouths in the past. The firemouths can take on the cons for sure. You may be in for some trouble, but I have found that the cons only chase the fish from their area while breeding and keep everyone away from fry. Fish retreat with no injuries. I have been breeding cons now for about two years. This was not planned!!! I have had atleast 1000 convicts in this time period. I have 4th generation convicts now, all starting from a single pair. Once they start it will not stop. The babies will grow and mate , Their babies will grow and mate!!!

My firemouths actually intensionally bothered my cons while they were breeding. The cons fought but they did no harm to one another. The firemouths will display a cool brite red color and expand their mouth and gills when provoked ,thus giving them their name. The firemouth may not bully others like a convict, but is its equal in battle.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back