Oh Great. Need Advice.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dopieopie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So yesterday I purchased some cherry barbs, they all looked good and healthy. Now today I noticed a couple seem to have a few very small white dots on them. I also seem to be having a cloudy tank issue, but my water parameters are still normal...needless to say, does this possibly sound like ich? And if so what's recommended next?

Sound quiet like itch but never for sure without pics, if they scrape their sides on the substrate than to keep ‘em alive make sure you treat them with some Melafix, always saves my fish from fungus and itch! Oh, and don’t go to that store please. Oh and sphone the gravel. 
Some more info on itch: http://cichlidresearch.com/disease.html

They haven't been rubbing on anything, they are swimming around and eating just fine. Only a couple of them have a couple tiny spots. I tried to get some pics, but the darn things move to much.

Oh, join the chat, it'll make it easier to help. Anyway do they look similar to the chiclids on there?

Don't do anything just yet. Let's diagnose.

How long has your tank been set up? What is the size? Water changes lately?

Sounds like ich, but there are some other factors that can cause to low immune systems in fish allowing ich. More info the better if you cannot get a picture.

Melafix will not do anything for ich.

It did for me. got rid of it in a flinch ofcourse with some water changes to get rid of the babies.

ReMz said:
Don't do anything just yet. Let's diagnose.

How long has your tank been set up? What is the size? Water changes lately?

Sounds like ich, but there are some other factors that can cause to low immune systems in fish allowing ich. More info the better if you cannot get a picture.

Melafix will not do anything for ich.

The tank has been set up about a week and a half as it was an upgrade, I didn't have a choice but to move everything as the new tank had to take the place of the old. I used all the old substrate, filter, and media from the old tank. The current tank is a 36 gallon bowfront.

All my water parameters were good, so against better judgment, I went a head and got the barbs since they finally had some.

How long was the last tank set up?

Do you have ANY ammonia readings (yes im getting: is it still or was it cycled)?

Sometimes a new tank even with old media can go through a mini cycle and you can get the clouded water and rough conditions. If you brought ich in and the fish where a bit under stress. Voila.

get back to me with those answers. is it just the barbs with the spots? Ich is pretty easy to diagnose. just white spots that shouldn't be there... mainly on fins.

IMG_0672.JPGIMG_0678.JPG

Well I was able to get a few pics, they arent the best....but I am pretty darn sure this might be ich. Ive never had to deal with this, so if the consensus is yes...what would be my next step?

Looks lime ich to me...
Raise your temp. I used quICK cure. And it did the job! Along with daily gravel vacs. Those are important.

A couple Ich spots. yes. nothing crazy from the pics.

You never answered my questions. Need to know before I recommend what to do next. Might not need quICK cure.

if just the barbs have the spots. do you have a quarantine tank you can move them to immediately?

sounds like ich to me, you should start treating right now while it's still manageable.

ReMz said:

You never answered my questions. Need to know before I recommend what to do next. Might not need quICK cure.

if just the barbs have the spots. do you have a quarantine tank you can move them to immediately?

Sorry!

No I don't have a qt. :/

I went and got a digital thermometer, and have been slowly raising the temp, and removed some water from the top to allow better oxygenation. I also picked up some kordons supposedly natural ich treatment, as the idea of possibly killing everything with chemicals bothers me as much as the fact that I introduced this to my tank in the first place. I haven't added the treatment yet though...as I have read that heat and gravel vacuuming can cure this...anyone know of any truth in that?

dopieopie said:

Sorry!

No I don't have a qt.
confused.gif

I went and got a digital thermometer, and have been slowly raising the temp, and removed some water from the top to allow better oxygenation. I also picked up some kordons supposedly natural ich treatment, as the idea of possibly killing everything with chemicals bothers me as much as the fact that I introduced this to my tank in the first place. I haven't added the treatment yet though...as I have read that heat and gravel vacuuming can cure this...anyone know of any truth in that?

Still did not answer the questions.

is this a cycled tank? ........ .... .... .... .....

Ich is a cycle in the tank. from on-fish to egg etc. Raising the temp speeds up the process. if you are not explaining what is going on in the tank, raising the temp might just been speeding up the parasite with no solution.

You have seen the tiny spots. do you really think speeding up their process and sucking out the tiny eggs is what you want to do? .. or do you even no it is effective (probably not).

I don't like to dose if unnecessary, but dodging some real questions just has people throwing generic treatment options at you. If that is what you wanted you could have googled ich treatment.

Most reactions

trending

Back