Oh Dear

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sandersj89

Reaction score
This afternoon I went to the LFS to get the first fish for the tank, 2 Platys. The idea being to use them to cycle the tank and have them as the basis for the stocking of the tank. Both fish were about 2cm long excluding tail fin.

When we got home I placed the bag in the tank having loosened then the knot. The trip home took about 10 minutes. Left them for 20 minutes and then released them into the main tank. The water test results that morning were fine, the tank had been up and running for a week.

Both fish seemed fine for 30 minutes and then we had to go out, upon our return 90 minutes later one fish appeared to be suffering, either very quite and hardly moving, often lying its side on the bottom, or completely manic, swimming at speed all around the tank. The other fish was fine, swimming around investigating the tank and plants.

An hour later the oddly acting fish was dead, lying on it’s side on the gravel, no movement form gills or fins and no attempt to move when I touched it.

Is this due to something I did, the tank set up or did I just have a duff fish that was on its way out already?

Tomorrow the dead fish will be returned to the fish shop for either a refund or replacement.

Jerry

11 gallon tank with about 10 gallons of water, real plants, re-used bog wood and gravel. Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite at or near zero, pH 7.5. Temp 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

Excuse the pun but something is a bit fishy if you have a a nitrate reading of nil. This is the product of ammonia and Nitrite breakdown. Did you use a filter start up tonic to get the essential bacteria in to the filtration system? -_-

>>>>>Did you use a filter start up tonic to get the essential bacteria in to the filtration system?

No, I reused gravel, plants and bog wood from an existing "cold" water tank. I am trying to do a fish cycle with the hope that the reused elements will help the process along.

I have kept cold fish for a number of years and have never lost a fish in such a short time span. 2 hours from introduction to death seems a little odd.

From my research there seems to be a split on views about the "tonics" to kick start the cycle. I would like to think I can avoid chemical if I can.

Thanks

Jerry

You're right it is very odd that it is so quick. This has got me wracking my brains at what tempreture was the set-up? Is it possible that the water had not warmed up sufficiently?
I would also check those test kit readings. A fish cycle is possible but you must remember the oxygen carrying capacity in your coldwater tank would have been far higher than it would have in a tropical set-up.
Maybe give it another week and check readings again. ;)

>>>>>at what tempreture was the set-up?

Just shy of 80 degrees.

>>>>>>Is it possible that the water had not warmed up sufficiently?

The tank has been up and running for a week, regular temperature checks show that it only moves a degree or 2 through the day.

>>>>>>I would also check those test kit readings. A fish cycle is possible but you must remember the oxygen carrying capacity in your coldwater tank would have been far higher than it would have in a tropical set-up.

I have two power heads running in the tank to power the gravel filters, the venturi on these is adjusted to give a good flow of bubbles so I should hopefully get enough O2 into the water.

>>>Maybe give it another week and check readings again.

Checking the tank readings daily, still seem fine.

This afternoon my wife managed to take the dead fish back and they umm'ed and ah'ed a bit but then agreed that they would replace. They suggested stress being the cause.

The new fish seems fine and has drawn the original fish out a bit, they are both pretty active and seem to be happy, will do another water test tomorrow and post the results.

Thanks

Jerry

Most reactions

trending

Back