Oh dear God Tap water issue.... help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

metropolis93fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm just discovering a tap water issue. Need advice.
I'm calling in the cityu morning but it smells like algae. I started noticing in summer that bottles of water (which was through a brita filter) that were left out 24+ hours were stinky like algae and tasted bad after cleaning with vinegar and bleach and had to be recycled. Just recently the water from the faucet started smelling bad. But KH and GH, which used to be sky high, were perfect for tanks. So I started using it maybe a month or so ago for water changes. The nitrates of the tap water are (I just checked dummy me)10-20 ppm. I've been adding extra prime. Will that take care of it? Otherwise the changes I've done 2x this week were for nothing. But the tanks smell bad now and never did with distilled water (nutrients added). If I can get my family to help this weekend I'll do a cleanup. But how far should I go? Take out gravel and boil? Obviously keep filter material. I haven't used tap water in ages. Now... grrr. Need suggestions. Help really appreciated. Never had smelly water like this before, and allergies are worse, too.

Honestly if you're in your own home, I'd recommend just installing an RO filter 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I can't afford one and am in an apartment if that makes a difference. I'm on disability and have outstanding medical bills. All the ones I've seen are WAY too expensive for me. I'd LOVE one but... yeah.

I can't afford one and am in an apartment if that makes a difference. I'm on disability and have outstanding medical bills. All the ones I've seen are WAY too expensive for me. I'd LOVE one but... yeah.
Oh yeah man, that's a huge bummer...not even sure if an apartment would allow you to install one of those.

Good initiative to call the city, though! The only other advice I can give is temporarily only doing maybe only weekly 20% water changes, just filling 5 gallon buckets, conditioning and whatnot, and just testing them to see if they're safe.

Hope the solution finds you, mate!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00204CQF6/?tag=ff0d01-20

This one is what I have. I'm not sure how many tanks you have and how much water you're going through a week, but this would be a pretty good option if you have a small tank or two. You would just need to remineralize your water or you could just do three stage filtration and omit the deionization. It's not something that you have to hardwire/retrofit into the plumbing or leave connected all the time.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This one is what I have. I'm not sure how many tanks you have and how much water you're going through a week, but this would be a pretty good option if you have a small tank or two. You would just need to remineralize your water or you could just do three stage filtration and omit the deionization. It's not something that you have to hardwire/retrofit into the plumbing or leave connected all the time.
Of course! Totally forgot about these 😂😂

Been installing the full RO systems for all the houses I've lived in, just for the sake of auto-filling 😅😅

I'm so sorry. My e-mail chose not to alert me to your replies... *grumbles at gmail* How do you collect the waste water? And where does the water go when you flush the system? I mean... you'd need a TON of buckets for the 10 and especially 30 minute flushes! Maybe I just don't understand how they work. I'm also afraid I don't have ROOM under my sink. The pipes take up a TON Of room and small cabinet to begin with. I'd love to use something like this though! If you get only 3 stage you don't have to remineralize? Just confirming!

Of course! Totally forgot about these 😂😂

Been installing the full RO systems for all the houses I've lived in, just for the sake of auto-filling 😅😅
As I said to Boundava my e-mail just decided to stop alerting me to responses. It's done that once before. Not nice! So sorry to not reply. This kind of RO filter does NOT replace piping? What happens to water when flushing?

I'm so sorry. My e-mail chose not to alert me to your replies... *grumbles at gmail* How do you collect the waste water? And where does the water go when you flush the system? I mean... you'd need a TON of buckets for the 10 and especially 30 minute flushes! Maybe I just don't understand how they work. I'm also afraid I don't have ROOM under my sink. The pipes take up a TON Of room and small cabinet to begin with. I'd love to use something like this though! If you get only 3 stage you don't have to remineralize? Just confirming!
I use my rodi for my brackish tanks so I don't remineralize the water. I also use the wastewater as well since it is also filtered and it works for my fish which is why I don't have to remineralize the water. Also I'm not sure what you're talking about flushing you don't flush the system. I have mine hanging right next to the sink in the basement, if you have a different setup you can put it under your cabinet. Or you could simply just have it sitting around and hook it up when you need to use it. If I get a chance today I will go ahead and make a little bit and show you how I do it. I'm just finishing up running some errands.

I use my rodi for my brackish tanks so I don't remineralize the water. I also use the wastewater as well since it is also filtered and it works for my fish which is why I don't have to remineralize the water. Also I'm not sure what you're talking about flushing you don't flush the system. I have mine hanging right next to the sink in the basement, if you have a different setup you can put it under your cabinet. Or you could simply just have it sitting around and hook it up when you need to use it. If I get a chance today I will go ahead and make a little bit and show you how I do it. I'm just finishing up running some errands.
I was watching the video for setting up the one you shared and it said you should flush the system before using it...

Yeah, it's just running the water until the charcoal container is clear. Nothing too long, just run it on the sink until clear.

Sorry I forgot to upload the video I took earlier today.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back