FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lousy pic but you get the idea
View attachment 109218
And here is the before
20200621_200120-jpg.107718
That was fast!

One more sleep.
Water change done, filter cleaned so just have to wait for the call from the APC driver. Over the last few days the water sprite and ludwigia have really kicked on. Still a bit of algae on the ludwigia and substrate but that should stabilise fairly soon.

Since all the current and proposed inhabitants are from black water I have upped the amount of leaves. The water is currently (at least before the water change) the colour of weak tea. Hopefully that will be closer to strong tea by morning :fish:

One more sleep.
Water change done, filter cleaned so just have to wait for the call from the APC driver. Over the last few days the water sprite and ludwigia have really kicked on. Still a bit of algae on the ludwigia and substrate but that should stabilise fairly soon.

Since all the current and proposed inhabitants are from black water I have upped the amount of leaves. The water is currently (at least before the water change) the colour of weak tea. Hopefully that will be closer to strong tea by morning :fish:
What leaves are you using Sean? Im using almond leaves but i find they dont tan the water as much as i like (might not be putting enough in maybe)

What leaves are you using Sean? Im using almond leaves but i find they dont tan the water as much as i like (might not be putting enough in maybe)
Rooibos leaves. You can find them neatly packaged in little bags in the tea aisle at your local supermarket in boxes of 40 or 80. (Its not Tea!!!). Don't bother with the organic stuff - the plant is so sensitive it can only be grown organically even if it doesn't have the label. Make sure its not mixed with something else.

One bag in the Clearseal filter (I've just upped that to 2) and 2-4 in the 180l depending on how dark you want it. Alternatively let it steep in boiling water and cool before adding to the tank. Nothing in it except tannin so it won't change your water chemistry.

Oh my goodness those boraras are tiny. SF shows their adult size as 15-20 mm which is the same as the ember tetra. They are almost the same length but only 1/4 of the depth of the embers. While it may be OK I covered my bets by wrapping the filter in the foot of a pair of tights while they were floating - fortunately SWMBO is at work ;). By comparison the gouramis look positively gigantic.

The tetras and boraras are currently racing around in one big group which is quite a sight. The filter flow was fairly light but the gouramis struggled in its path. For now I have baffled it with a strategically placed piece of sponge. They occasionally join the big group, hope they are not assessing the viability of the boraras as food, but are mostly exploring independently and sizing up their territories.

Lights are off but while watching them I spotted at least one fry hiding out in the water sprite - no more than 2mm long. Not sure if there are several or if I saw the same one several times, but have to assume its an ember tetra and not a hitchhiker.

Oh my goodness those boraras are tiny. SF shows their adult size as 15-20 mm which is the same as the ember tetra. They are almost the same length but only 1/4 of the depth of the embers. While it may be OK I covered my bets by wrapping the filter in the foot of a pair of tights while they were floating - fortunately SWMBO is at work ;). By comparison the gouramis look positively gigantic.

The tetras and boraras are currently racing around in one big group which is quite a sight. The filter flow was fairly light but the gouramis struggled in its path. For now I have baffled it with a strategically placed piece of sponge. They occasionally join the big group, hope they are not assessing the viability of the boraras as food, but are mostly exploring independently and sizing up their territories.

Lights are off but while watching them I spotted at least one fry hiding out in the water sprite - no more than 2mm long. Not sure if there are several or if I saw the same one several times, but have to assume its an ember tetra and not a hitchhiker.
Sounds awesome Sean :good: Pic's when settled please:)

Rooibos leaves. You can find them neatly packaged in little bags in the tea aisle at your local supermarket in boxes of 40 or 80. (Its not Tea!!!). Don't bother with the organic stuff - the plant is so sensitive it can only be grown organically even if it doesn't have the label. Make sure its not mixed with something else.

One bag in the Clearseal filter (I've just upped that to 2) and 2-4 in the 180l depending on how dark you want it. Alternatively let it steep in boiling water and cool before adding to the tank. Nothing in it except tannin so it won't change your water chemistry.
Anyway of introducing the leaves without put in a filter? Ive got a duel sponge in my 22g :dunno:

If its rooibos you're considering I'm going to be just adding the water from a brew using the tea bag.. for other, dried eaves, such as almond and/or oak, I scatter them around the substrate. Quite entertaining watching the corys push themselves amongst them to get at food

Yeah just brew it. The bags will sink but sometimes it takes a couple of days. That's what I always did for the community. Its only recently I have started chucking them in the filter.

Sneaked in for a sneak peak before the lights come on. The gouramis have started croaking at me :). Got a fright the first time I saw one doing its headstanding thing but as they all do it I assume its normal behaviour. My best guess is two males based on the intensity of the sparkly bits above the lateral line and a third that could go either way with 3 certain females. I assume this is not a reliable method though or all the sites wouldn't be telling you to look for the ovaries. The sparkliest ones are also the biggest - so it could just be maturity.

The little'uns have all calmed down and for now seem to stay with their own groups most of the time.

Next time I'll put the webcam higher so its not pointing straight at the light and you may be able to actually see the colours. Its already a stunning display, even though the boraras are still a bit washed out, but all that back lighting doesn't do them any favours :dunno:

Much shorter clip - only marginally better. Think I am going to have to drag out the proper camera as the cheapie webcam just doesn't cut it :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back