Odessa barb advice.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Moby

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just added 3 males Odessa barb to my existing ones.I was surprised when I brought them that was already coloured up a nice dark red.However after 3 days they’ve started to lose some of their colours.Tested water etc everything fine and they seem happy enough.This is a new one on me as it’s normally the other way round.Any thoughts ?

Just added 3 males Odessa barb to my existing ones.I was surprised when I brought them that was already coloured up a nice dark red.However after 3 days they’ve started to lose some of their colours.Tested water etc everything fine and they seem happy enough.This is a new one on me as it’s normally the other way round.Any thoughts ?
How many do you have in total now? Whats the male/female ratio? Size of tank? What other fish do you have with them? Is your tank planted? Can you post a pic/vid of the tank?

I bought 15 (males) and had them in with corydora. Eventually found that theh were nipping/bullying the corys so moved them to another tank by themselves. They lost all colour and were constantly hiding. As soon as I added a dozen giant danios they were fine. Full of colour and no longer hiding. The danios seemingly worked as brillaint dithers!

I just absolutely love these critters. I had to take mine back to the LFS though. They were so aggressive with the other fish. One of the, I suppose, males was so aggressive and chased every other fish endlessly that I eventually stuck a mirror to the front of the tank so he could see himself.
It was funny though pitiful watching him try to fight his image. After a while, and many hours of fighting himself, he seemed to have become overwhelmed by the fish he was fighting and then went into hiding mode. He only came out for food from then on in.
As I said; gorgeous fish but they have an attitude.

Most reactions

trending

Back