Odd Colored RCS

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I have been trying to catch a pic of this little shrimp for a couple of weeks, and it was finally out in the open. All of the other Red Cherry Shrimp in this 10 gallon tank have normal coloration of various shades. What do you guys think could be the cause of this?

Attachments

• 20201210_224044.jpg
    20201210_224044.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20201210_224019.jpg
    20201210_224019.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20201210_224014.jpg
    20201210_224014.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 75
Inbreeding. It's very common for a tank setup for a while. It's just like if a family member married another family member and had a kid, there would be issues with the kid.

I have several like this in my 29g tank. They act totally normal, the color is just weird.

Inbreeding. It's very common for a tank setup for a while. It's just like if a family member married another family member and had a kid, there would be issues with the kid.

I have several like this in my 29g tank. They act totally normal, the color is just weird.
Ok, that is a bit reassuring. I was worried it was something off with my parameters. Thinking about moving all of the "oddballs" that show up to another tank. Kinda different looking.

Ok, that is a bit reassuring. I was worried it was something off with my parameters. Thinking about moving all of the "oddballs" that show up to another tank. Kinda different looking.
It is a good idea to add "new blood" every year or so, just so you don't get that inbreeding issue.

I have had them around 8 months or so, I think. I guess I will be making a trip to the fish store today.

Yes, you can usually make an exchange. Bring some of your shrimp to donate and take some of theirs with the store credit. Obviously you'll have to give a multiple of what you take back, but that should be fine.

Is it clear or blue as it appears in the pic? If its clear its just an albino. No pigment but nothing to do with inbreeding. They are rare. If you don't like it separate it or you may get more. Or you could wait till you get more and put them in a separate tank and try to breed more of them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back