Ocean mystery as massive 45kg bright orange fish washes up on isolated US beach

Slaphppy7

Mod-o-holic
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
"In 2015, Lampris guttatus was discovered to have near whole body endothermy, where the entire core of the body is maintained at around 5 °C above the surrounding water. This is unique among fish as most fish are entirely cold blooded or are only capable of warming some parts of their bodies." (Wikipedia).......very interesting

That is an Opa. I've seen them caught on tuna charters. They fight like a giant piece of plywood. They are also delicious.
Yep, "Opah" if you want to get picky with spelling https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opah

I find it fascinating that they can (somewhat) control body temp, instead of being truly cold-blooded, the only fish to do so, according to the link

Didn't know they were tasty, either, that's a lot of meat...

"In 2015, Lampris guttatus was discovered to have near whole body endothermy, where the entire core of the body is maintained at around 5 °C above the surrounding water. This is unique among fish as most fish are entirely cold blooded or are only capable of warming some parts of their bodies." (Wikipedia).......very interesting

Well, dang! Was he from a Galaxy far, far away?

“Unknown fish”. That’s The Daily Star for you.
Just about everything on the planet is unknown to the average Daily Star reader who’s IQ can be counted on the average human beings fingers n toes.
It’s a stain on the U.K. press’s rep…..and believe me that takes some doing.

“Unknown fish”. That’s The Daily Star for you.
Just about everything on the planet is unknown to the average Daily Star reader who’s IQ can be counted on the average human beings fingers n toes.
It’s a stain on the U.K. press’s rep…..and believe me that takes some doing.
Gotta love the Brit tabloids . 😹😹😹😹

This was a really cool article, thanks! Am I right in thinking that not only is it not usually seen in those waters (being a deep-water ocean type of fish after all) but that it's a species of Opah that's never been seen before? Was hard to tell what was meant with the hyped up headline style of writing.

I have gone down a rabbit hole of clicking on video after video from that link you shared though. Like watching a heron eat a huge rat in NY, and the the hysterical reaction to a short video clip of a little girl being bitten by a harmless species of snake in a petting zoo. Someone calling for petting zoos to be shut down, others claiming that it was a highly venomous species(!) - which of course it wasn't. A petting zoo choosing a venomous snake for kids to handle would be odd indeed... The Star gotta make otherwise boring and very minor video clips into some "terrifying" story after all.

No. They’re getting dangerous.
Really? I only see the more outrageous pieces mentioned for comic relief. We have dopey tabloids here too. One said Hillary Clinton was an alien lizard from outter space. They had pics of her lizard family too. 😹😹😹

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back