Oase Biomaster 600 Thermo

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Oase is a German company that started off specializing in ponds and have moved into the external filter for aquariums business several years ago. I finally got my hand on the Oase Biomaster 600 Thermo, the one that has a heater in the actual filter. Below you will see a pro and con list.

Pros:
Inline heater so you don't need a heater in your tank anymore
Great amount of space for bio, mechanical, and chemical media (I got 4L of matrix in mine!)
Quiet (for the most part, see below)
solid build quality
easy maintenance (prefilter can be removed without taking apart your filter)
Good flow rate

Cons:
Expensive side of filters
inlet and outlet pipes provided are ugly
Constantly purges air bubbles

That last con really hurts this product. I waited days for all air to exit the filter and it still purges air every few minutes. It's loud and it's annoying. Buyer beware because they said they fixed this issue in their 2nd generation units, but it still has to purge air. I own the latest one too. Maybe I got a lemon, but the purging of air is a known issue with these filters.

That last con really hurts this product. I waited days for all air to exit the filter and it still purges air every few minutes. It's loud and it's annoying. Buyer beware because they said they fixed this issue in their 2nd generation units, but it still has to purge air. I own the latest one too. Maybe I got a lemon, but the purging of air is a known issue with these filters.

You should have them send you a new one... I have it and it's completely silent and never purges air (also have the 2nd generation). Sounds like you have a dud.

Make sure your hoses are as short as possible and as vertical as possible. Try gently rocking the canister from side to side and back and forth to dislodge the bubbles. Its a sealed system so once the air is out there shouldn't be any way for more to get in.

I got the model, but it still purges air. I rock it back and forth and prime it to make sure to get rid of as much air as possible. It's doing better, but once in awhile it will purge air.

Same issue here with purging air from the 600. My quesstion is: how is air getting into the filter? If this happens from a usual cause the filter would leak water if powered down and both valves were open.

Update: Oase support is sending all new o-rings and a primer cap to perhaps address the issue. I don't quite believe this fix will work but I'll try it. BTW, great support at OASE.

Last edited:
You should have them send you a new one... I have it and it's completely silent and never purges air (also have the 2nd generation). Sounds like you have a dud.

Oase is a German company that started off specializing in ponds and have moved into the external filter for aquariums business several years ago. I finally got my hand on the Oase Biomaster 600 Thermo, the one that has a heater in the actual filter. Below you will see a pro and con list.

Pros:
Inline heater so you don't need a heater in your tank anymore
Great amount of space for bio, mechanical, and chemical media (I got 4L of matrix in mine!)
Quiet (for the most part, see below)
solid build quality
easy maintenance (prefilter can be removed without taking apart your filter)
Good flow rate

Cons:
Expensive side of filters
inlet and outlet pipes provided are ugly

Iv got a all pond solutions uv 1400 ef+ a sun sun to folks in the US, mine is constantly purging air i cant find a leak etc and its drivibg me round the bend i have a feeling its the cavity were the uv light goes i can here it dripping sometimes i think your oase might be similar were your heater is

If you haven't found a solution for the air purging issue, take a close look at the pressure hinges. It's easy to tighten down 3 of them while leaving the 4th looking like it's closed when it isn't. Try reseating the pump head while ensuring
that all 4 pressure hinges are properly closed. Let us know if it works.

I just cleaned the pre-filter. I really like that aspect of the unit. :wub:

I've just been researching this very issue. I've had my Oase 600 set up around 2 months and air is constantly going through the system and as others have said it's noisy and annoying. There are no water leaks which to me would indicate a poorly fitted or damaged unit seal. Also no leaks from the pipework which would indicate the plastic locking nuts not tight enough. I'm currently in touch with Oase customer services and will ask if I have the latest model and how I can tell. Perhaps this will encourage them to send me any updated or upgraded/redesigned parts or seals if not already fitted.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back