Nutrient deficiency?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Morganna

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My crypts and java fern are doing really well! Nice growth and reproducing. But, I have noticed signs in the leaves making me think there is a deficiency in some kind of nutrient, and so I am hoping that y'all can help me identify it and suggest a fertilizer that will fix it.
The leaves on the java fern look rather crinkly in areas, with a little black and some tiny holes.
Thanks!
IMG_20221120_172101652.jpg
IMG_20221120_181153946_HDR.jpg

It would help if we knew what nutrients you are currently using.

Personally I currently use Flourish Comprehensive, Flourish Root Tabs and Flourish Iron and my plants all are doing very well.

The root tabs are good for plants such as swords and the Comprehensive is good for floaters and such plants as Java Fern and Anubias.

As a warning be careful with iron supplements if you decide to use as over dosing can adversely affect your fish. In my 20 gallon cube I only give a few drops from a small eye dropper once or twice a week. If not for my Red Tiger Lotus wanting iron I don't know that I would use. I mean there is nothing wrong with the stuff and a lot of plants can benefit but you have to be careful.

It would help if we knew what nutrients you are currently using.

Personally I currently use Flourish Comprehensive, Flourish Root Tabs and Flourish Iron and my plants all are doing very well.

The root tabs are good for plants such as swords and the Comprehensive is good for floaters and such plants as Java Fern and Anubias.

As a warning be careful with iron supplements if you decide to use as over dosing can adversely affect your fish. In my 20 gallon cube I only give a few drops from a small eye dropper once or twice a week. If not for my Red Tiger Lotus wanting iron I don't know that I would use. I mean there is nothing wrong with the stuff and a lot of plants can benefit but you have to be careful.
I don't add any kind of supplements to my tanks right now, forgot to mention that. I've thought about Flourish products, and I'll look back into them.
Dually noted about the iron, thanks.

Yes you probably have a mix macro and micro deficiencies. You need to try a fertilizer. And it does look like you might have a iron deficiency.

Yes you probably have a mix macro and micro deficiencies. You need to try a fertilizer. And it does look like you might have a iron deficiency.
Do you have a fertilizer that you would recommend? I've been looking at an all in one by NilocG.

I can't tell much from your photos so I'll just add a few thoughts:
Newly introduced plants often go through an adjustment period where an initial growth spurt occurs followed by degradation. This is often the case in a newly established aquarium.
Those plants (especially the Java Fern) don't like to be 'blasted' with high intensity lighting.
The Java should be attached to a log, rock or other decoration and not rooted in the substrate. I can't tell from the images if that is the case but if so, try attaching them to something and letting the roots flow in the water.
It would probably help if you let us know what size tank, number of fish, type of lighting & filtration. Is this a newly established tank? Have you tested your water parameters?

It depends onwhats available inyourarea. There is no location listed wiithyour name. A lot of people use Seachem b flourish comprehensive but he advised that it works best if you divide the weekly dose and dose a small portion of it once a day or so.Also you should replace 30% or ore of your tank water once a week But be advised that most fertilizers including seachem don't include calcium and most don't have enough magnesium. So also check your GH and verify your GH is at least 2 degrees. I have to make my own to get good consistent results due my very soft water. But making a fertilizer is not easy.

Newly introduced plants often go through an adjustment period where an initial growth spurt occurs followed by degradation. This is often the case in a newly established aquarium.
Those plants (especially the Java Fern) don't like to be 'blasted' with high intensity lighting.
If the water is properly fertilized Most plants will start growing right away without any adjustment period or any die back. Also most plants you find in stores are naturally found in shallow lakes or streams exposed to full sun. Full son at noon produces about 20,000 lumens of light. Most aquariums get less than 500 lumens. So plants are naturally evolved to handle the full brightness of the sun. If I put a plant in a newly setup container with a lit and fertilized water I often see signs of growth in about 24 hours or less.

Thanks to all for the good information!
To answer @Archerfish:
This tank is well established. The java fern is attached to piece of wood, and it's really big. I can't change the brightness setting on the light unfortunately.
This is a 29 gallon tank, with a light by Hygger, though I'm not sure which product specifically. The tank is stocked with 10 cherry barbs, a Bolivian ram, a BNP, and two Siamese Algae Eaters (I am already aware they should be in a shoal, and be in bigger tank).

Water parameters:
Nitrate: 0-10
Nitrite:0
Ammonia: 0
GH: 5.5 degrees
pH: 7

Now to answer @StevenF:
I'm in the Maryland area, so I can get Seachem if that's what I decide to go with. Thanks for the info about the calcium and magnesium.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back