Nutrafin Co2 Kit

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mlawson

Excessum ut clementia
Reaction score
I'm fed up with it. It only produces about 2 bubbles a minute and gives a pethetic 12ppm.

I know temperature affects it, my room is approximately 20-23 degrees C, but it can't affect it that much?

I have 4WPG and the growth is slow, I need CO2! and don't want algae!, ideally I want about 30ppm.

Needless to say I'm getting a pressurised CO2 kit, which will be worth it in the lon term as I plan to setup many a planted tanks.

Anyone have any tips on how to make the darn things to work?

I use the method of starting the yeast which George posted on the pinned topics, and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

Mike

Mine doesn't do as much as I think it ought too, either! Mine is pretty new, so i'm using the packs that came with the kit...

Cheers...

Apparently the packs are rubbish which came from the pack so I used the method on here.

i had no joy from packets so i use the yeast mix. Had no problems, make sure the water is warm, not too hot, sugar up to first line and i use 1 teaspoon of yeast(others use less) stiring it all and if i sprinkle abit of the yeast on top after stiring it seems to help get it started. I have also tryed brown sugar and that works very well.
I always leave it unconnected for couple of hours so it doesnt leak back into tank. i use allisons baking yeast.
Hope that helps
Angel

Mark

Try this DIY kit and recipe. I have 1 of these on a smaller scale with 2 Nutrafins.

Below the diffusor for sale is a recipe to use with the diffusor and it should work very well

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nano-Co2-diffuser-Sm...1QQcmdZViewItem

In The Nutrafins my recipe is:

1st level sugar
½ properly measured teaspoon yeast
2nd level warm water
screw on the lid
hand over spout and shake like mad
take back to the tank cabinet and connect the hose
Hey presto bubbles within 1 hour

My DIY 2Ltr Version has:
11 desertspoons sugar
1 properly measured teaspoon yeast
warm water to just above where the bottle curves back into the lid
screw the lid on (I jammed a 6mm hose connector in a hole I made in the lid then siliconed both sides) I'll post some pics when I change it on Saturday
hand over hose connector and shake like mad
take back to the tank cabinet and connect the hose
Hey presto etc.

I change 1 Nutrafin every Wednesday and 1 Sunday and the 2Ltr on Saturdays (SO I replace each cannisters content every week at different intervals)

This setup is giving me 4 bubbles per second (yes you read right) @ 21 degrees (Thermostat in the house set to this and the freebie little thermometer from powergen says 21 which is in the ideal temperature on their gauge. lol)

Drop checker is always green to yellow

Andy

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Angel and Andy.

I think the problem could be that I'm not putting enough yeast in, it seems I only put about a 1/4 of a teaspoon in. I think now I'll add more yeast and change them more often, and see how things go. Maybe I don't mix the solution well either.

Mike

I've had mine a few days now and also had the abismel bubble count was around 8 bubbles a min with room about 20 c.

Give this a try submerge the canister with contents in a bucket of water with some pipe coming out the top. Blow down the pipe as hard as you can to make sure your tightening the lid or to spot any leaks.

My problem was I wasn't tightening the lid as tightly as required you sure do need to tighten it ><. I was still getting bubbles but no where near 30 a min so I guess most of the Co2 was leaking out the cap.

Now that I tighten it properly I get around 25 bpm after a day. Good luck.

Thanks Angel and Andy.

I think the problem could be that I'm not putting enough yeast in, it seems I only put about a 1/4 of a teaspoon in. I think now I'll add more yeast and change them more often, and see how things go. Maybe I don't mix the solution well either.

Mike

I use, sugar up to the 1st line, 1/2 teaspoon yeast, 1/4 teaspoon bi-carb and fill with warm water to just below the 2nd line and give it a damn good stir with a chopstick! I find that if i fill it up to the top line with this amount of yeast in, the mixture starts to get into the airline and then into the tank :(

Most reactions

trending

Back