Nutrafin Co2 Basic User Guide

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

George Farmer

ad aqua
Reaction score
Here's a basic guide to using the popular Nutrafin yeast-based CO2 units, based on my own experience.

1. Fill canister with regular granulated sugar to the first line.

2. Add 1/2 teaspoon of dried yeast (available from supermarket).

3. No need for "Stabiliser" unless you have v. soft tap water.

4. Top up to second line with tepid (approx 30C) tap water.

5. Stir.

6. Fix lid tightly.

7. Attach tubing tightly.

8. Watch the bubbles appear after 10 to 30 minutes.

Ambient temp. affects bubble rate, cold = less output, warm = more output.

More yeast = more CO2 for shorter time.
Less yeast = less CO2 for longer time.

1 teaspoon of yeast will give you around 30 bubbles per min. for about 7 days. This should be good for up to a 100 l. / 30 gal. tank.

Aim for 30ppm CO2. Change mixture regularly to avoid unstable/low CO2, this causes algae. Test for CO2 using pH and KH kits and this table - http://www.tropica.com/article.asp?type=aq...stic&id=445

Clean ladders may clog bubbles up for a while. The bubbles will run up smooth after a few hours or so.

Use multiple units for larger tanks. Change mixtures alternately for stable CO2.

Enjoy your plants!

Wonderful guide george, however, might be a good idea to add what to use as a stabiliser if you do have soft water!! :good:
Bicarbonate of soda, add around half a teaspoon, depending on how soft the tap water is.

Wonderful guide george, however, might be a good idea to add what to use as a stabiliser if you do have soft water!! :good:

bicarbonate of soda (available in the baking section at your local supermarket)

add 2x the bicarb to yeast. ie 1/2 tsp yeast & 1tsp bicarb. my waters rock hard so i dont need the bicarb.

edit. you beat me to it sam...

This is great George, thanks for putting it up!

llj :D

Very useful, i might be asking for one for Christmas instead of making my own :D .

The kit is useful for the canister, ladder and CO2 tubing, but don't forget that the mix provided with it is useless so be prepared to make your own

I urge caution when following anything George Farmer has to say!! :hyper:

He advised me on lighting and CO2 injection and I swear less than a fortnight later I now have a frickin jungle.

Lighting + CO2 really works.

Must invest in some scizzors!! :good:

I can't stress how much this better this mix is then the ones that come with the kit, I tried to use mine and after 19 hours hadn't seen a single bubble however 45 mins after setting it up with this mix it's bubbling away

Got my nutrafin kit today and using the above mix and is working great :)

Thanks for the guide!

Good pin :good: but may I ask how large of a tank is this good before you need two?
My daughter is running one unit on her 125 l. / 33 gal. 1 teaspoon of yeast, change mixture every 7 days.

I'd say that's the practical limit really. Ideally we'd use two units with 1/2 tsp yeast and get more life out the mixture.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back