April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

NickT

Fishaholic
Reaction score
how contagious is NTD?
is it only transferable to tetras?
aside from euthinasia what are my options?
1 fish shows signs do the others have it too? (in other words is it like ich where just becuse you cant see it dosnt mean its not there)

in my shoe box i have
malachite green\ formalyn, salt , melafix , pemafix and levamisole.
shold i add any of these?

ATM i am useing the rid ich to treat an ich outbreak but i shold be done in the next fue days (no more spots as of yesterday). i just added melafix to help speed the healing process on the guppie fry who took a nastie hit from ich.
i think the NTD got a foot hold becuse of the ICH. it started in my smalest tetra and i thought it was velvet so i just let it go waiting for the rid ich to take care of it.....

what shold i do?

55gallon planted tank

(amonia 0, nitrIte 0 , nitrAte 15ppm ish Ph is a steady 7.4)

10 neon tetras
2 honey guoramis
1 pearl guorami
guppies
3m 4f
3 khuli loaches
1 hillstream loach
1 baby BGK
30ish lunch.. i mean guppy fry :D
(the bgk has a new home coming thursday and ive only had him for about 3 hours so dont worry about him tiping the scale to overstocked + i change my water like mad... 10% every other day)

NTD is highly contagious and 100% incurable. Euthinasia is the only option. Also it's not only tetras that can get it, it is called NTD as neons were the first fish that it was documented to appear on.

There is a disease known as False NTD, It is impossible for the home aquarist to determine for certain the difference between NTD and false NTD on the basis of visible symptoms alone, without laboratory backup, any medication that states will cure NTD is actually for false NTD.

Please issolate the fish from the others, here is a link for you to NTD.http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/neondisease.htm

ok maybe im wrong about it being NTD.
the pic i saw of a tetra with ntd showd it as having a gold dust look across its back. the link said nothng about teh lenth of time it takes to kill teh fish . this wold be nice to know becuse this fish has a gold dust look to him (like velvet) but shows no other signs of NTD. hes even schooling and its been atleast 3 weeks since i first saw signs.... and if NTD is a protozian i wold assume its lifecycle speed is based on temp,
im at 82F

If your fish has a gold dust appearance probably velvet, does the neon rub against objects.

no he dosnt.
he shows no symptoms exept teh color and teh fact he hasnt grown like the rest.
he eats and swims fine too. plus if it was velvet woldnt it have been cured by the treatment??

When mine had NTD I think they did show a gold colouring underneath their dorsal fin, at the end of the tail does it look whitish in colour, also do the neons stay awake longer than they did, as mine went to bed early but when NTD showed up they stayed up longer, also does the fish look like he has a lumpy belly.

the back side of the anal fin is white, no lumpy bellie and im not shure about the sleeping thing.
how long did it take to notice symptoms and how long till NTD is fatal?
i just need to fing out if i may be sealing with falae NTD....
he has had the velvet like symptoms for 3 weeks. if it is NTD im Forked...

It took mine weeks to over a month or more before they died, try anti internal bacteria med if it's false neon desease that should clear it up.

thanks alot wilder!
i wass surfingaround and found a productthat i might try.

Furan 2

ingredients: Nitrofurazone, Furazolidone, and Methylene Blue Trihydrate

"Contains two furan compounds to combat a wide variety of gram-positive & gram-negative bacterial diseases, including gill disease, mouth fungus, furunculosis (aeromonas), black molly disease (columnaris), fin & tail rot and dropsy"

and also clears up fals NTD apeantley

That sounds great, good luck and hope it is false neon tetra desease, don't add anymore new fish to the tank, and I would try to issolate the neons if you can, as if it does turn out to be NTD it will affect other fish and you will have to strip the whole tank down and start again, even throwing away all the sponges.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back