Now What?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TBLightningFan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well the Ich got my Flame Angel today :(

What else can I do? The treatment didn't work. Some that others have suggested such as oodinex I cannot find.

I have a 10 gallon tank on the side I can go get materials for a hospital tank. The fish that remain are the Herald's Angelfish, Blue Tang, Yellow Tail Damsel, Scooter Blenny, and a Neon Goby.

Will they be ok for 3-4 weeks in a copper treated - hospital tank? I was also thinking of resorting to freshwater dipping all of them and maybe adding Kent RxP to the dip.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I just hope they do ok in a 10 gallon tank.

What size is your maintank again? If its small then the tang is probably going to be continually catching whitespot.

Anyway... tretment.. I would never be without a UV with a tang in my tank. If you have a spare hospital tank then treat with copper. You should not need to keep them in for so many weeks, just a short time will kill the parasite on the fishes body.

However, these are treatments for the parastie and you really need to get to the bottom of why they are not able to fight the parasite off naturall.y Stress is usualy the main reason for this. Reduce the stress and clear up the problem.

I can understand the problem in my 55 gallon tank as the nitrates like to build in there a bit. And its been a battle to keep em down. I have even moved the domino and two clowns to my other two new tanks to lower the bio-load on the environment.

But I can't come up with an explanation for the 12 gallon nano and the domino damsel. The water is testing absolutely gorgeous across the board and the tank never even showed the cycle. The only common denominator is that the fish affected were all in the same tank at one point in time. Plus these are all the fish that were in the tank during the substrate switch out when I added the Live Sand.

Could that have something to do with it? While the Domino is now in the nano, he was in the 55 gallon tank at the time I did it. Maybe something happened to them in the process of doing that and a there is a lingering side effect from all the stirred up sand and dust.

My 28 gallon tank (the one I had moved the clowns to before adding the sand in the 55) is fine.

Any ideas, suggestions, questions?

Well First Off Do u have enough MAture Rock for a scooter Blenny? The 12 gallon Probly fluctuates levels so much u really cant get a reliable reading and I dont think Ich would show up in the testing.Yur Bioload was probly a little high then they caught ich. If i am correct your fish can have ich b4 you even see it. Then they were all moved and the stress made it worse. I could Be wrong though.

The parasite has a free wimming stage, a domant stage where is settles on sand and rocks and a stage which it lives on the fish. if any water, sand , rocks or even the fish was transerred out of the tank whilst thre was ich active in the tank then its possible it could mirgate across.

Also.. the parasite is something the fish live with all their lives, its usually resident in the system is some for or another no matter how hard we try. This would explain why tanks that have never had the parasite active for years can suddenly come to life and plague a tank. Im afraid ich is a bit like a caner in whic its with us always and just needs something to trigger it off :*)

Fishy411 said:
Well First Off Do u have enough MAture Rock for a scooter Blenny? The 12 gallon Probly fluctuates levels so much u really cant get a reliable reading and I dont think Ich would show up in the testing.Yur Bioload was probly a little high then they caught ich. If i am correct your fish can have ich b4 you even see it. Then they were all moved and the stress made it worse. I could Be wrong though.
The fish that were moved had been moved for about a month before this happened. Those fish are fine except the domino. He is fine in the nano, even though he has ich, because the blood red shrimp is doing an awesome job cleaning him. I think he will eventually fight it off on his own.

As far as the Blenny goes there I have matured live sand. I have plenty of pods and other life in the sand that he is happily feeding on. For that matter I dont think the blenny has been affected throughout the ich issue. The Yellow-Tail damsel has been unaffected too. The flame angel was getting hit so hard that I couldn't save him. The Herald's Angel has been on and off with it, and when he does, its very very little. The small Blue Tang is getting it a quite a bit but not as bad as the Flame Angel was.

I beleive your tang is behind this. Basically the tank is far too small for it and this will be a liekly cause for it to come down with ich. Tangs are easily stressed and 100 gallons is needed... A regal tang grows huge and i would not consider one in anything less than 150 gallons. Once a tang gets ich its hard to get on top of it. Regal tangs, Powder browns, powder blue, Achilles and all Naso types have a much smaller scale than other fish. This fine scale is much easier for the parasite to attack and take hold. So you usually find that othre fish can be cleared of ich yet tangs hang in ther elonger and re-infect the entire stock all over again :angry:

The best way to combat ich is to attack the cause of it and i beleive its stress in this case due to either water conditions or volume, water changes will help with this but if the tang is stressed due to cramped conditions then you will never beat the parasite i m afraid :*)

Most reactions

trending

Back