April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mmmm i dunno...
"Allicin is the chemical in garlic that does have the power to actively and directly kill parasites. It has been shown in scientific studies to actively kill parasites including freshwater ich, marine white spot (also known as marine ich), and others"

Never ever heard of that before. I was taught that garlic was just an incentive for the fish to eat, if they are being picky.

I have my Betta, Toshi, in a 5 gal tank. No other fish, just him. It took me a while to find the kind of food that he would eat. He didn't like the pellets. He definitely didn't like the flakes. I got some freeze dried bloodworms and some freeze dried Mysis shrimp. He loved the shrimp. But it was supposed to be more of a treat instead of a nutritional meal. So I opted to get frozen Mysis. And the sales person at the pet store told me that he would love, love, love the frozen bloodworms. He did NOT love, love, love the bloodworms...frozen or freeze dried. What I was wondering though. Is feeding him the frozen shrimp making his water cloudy? The thing about the frozen mysis shrimp is that they DO NOT FLOAT. They sink straight to the bottom and it makes the bottom look messy. Since Bettas eat from the surface, the food he didn't eat is down there.

Sorry, you said

I assume you meant the fish food is to be soaked and not the fish themselves...?
LOL !
I mean thatwhen garlic components have impregnated fish itself, it is very effective.
You sure can soak food in garlic juice, or give very small pieces of garlic to your fishes, or buy dehydrated garlic semolina.

It is very often the case as Bettas are predators (insectivorous/carnivorous).
I fed mine with bloodwors, microworms, daphnias, vinegar eels, crude fish/mussel pieces, trout eggs and garlic.
I have a container full of floating pellets, a container full of the flakes. He hated the flakes all together. He would eat the pellets every once and a while. But the frozen Mysis shrimp is what he LOVES. I even tried the frozen bloodworms. He wouldn't touch them. I can never have the "typical" pet. I always end up with the ones that have strange personalities. Lol!

I have my Betta, Toshi, in a 5 gal tank. No other fish, just him. It took me a while to find the kind of food that he would eat. He didn't like the pellets. He definitely didn't like the flakes. I got some freeze dried bloodworms and some freeze dried Mysis shrimp. He loved the shrimp. But it was supposed to be more of a treat instead of a nutritional meal. So I opted to get frozen Mysis. And the sales person at the pet store told me that he would love, love, love the frozen bloodworms. He did NOT love, love, love the bloodworms...frozen or freeze dried. What I was wondering though. Is feeding him the frozen shrimp making his water cloudy? The thing about the frozen mysis shrimp is that they DO NOT FLOAT. They sink straight to the bottom and it makes the bottom look messy. Since Bettas eat from the surface, the food he didn't eat is down there.
You need to siphon whatever he doesn't eat out....

Buy bug bites or something similar and feed him that... I don't believe in pandering to these fish, they'll eat when they're hungry trust me!

You need to siphon whatever he doesn't eat out....

Buy bug bites or something similar and feed him that... I don't believe in pandering to these fish, they'll eat when they're hungry trust me!
Thank you. I am to the point that I'm not buying anything more. I'm going to try those "Bug Bites", but that's it. I have tries so many things, I have enough food here that I won't need to get him anymore for the next 6 months.
Is there any tankmates that I can put with him that would help with cleaning? His tank is only 5 gal. I thought about 1 Cory cat. There is plenty of shelter in the tank.

Thank you. I am to the point that I'm not buying anything more. I'm going to try those "Bug Bites", but that's it. I have tries so many things, I have enough food here that I won't need to get him anymore for the next 6 months.
Is there any tankmates that I can put with him that would help with cleaning? His tank is only 5 gal. I thought about 1 Cory cat. There is plenty of shelter in

Is there any tankmates that I can put with him that would help with cleaning? His tank is only 5 gal. I thought about 1 Cory cat. There is plenty of shelter in the tank.
You would need at least 5 corys, they really need to be in a group to be happy ? ?

You could try a couple of snails

Most reactions

Back