Notifications acting weird?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
For the past two days or so I've been having some issues with my notifications. When I first log in it tells me I have a certain amount of notifications (it was 5 today for example), but then when I click on it the number disappears, then changes to a different number (it was 3 today) and then disappears again. When I look at how many notifications I actually have, it's always the second number that only appears for a second. Then, after I've looked at all of my notifications, another number appears (it was 2 today), and then quickly disappears again. Does anyone know why this is happening?

For the past two days or so I've been having some issues with my notifications. When I first log in it tells me I have a certain amount of notifications (it was 5 today for example), but then when I click on it the number disappears, then changes to a different number (it was 3 today) and then disappears again. When I look at how many notifications I actually have, it's always the second number that only appears for a second. Then, after I've looked at all of my notifications, another number appears (it was 2 today), and then quickly disappears again. Does anyone know why this is happening?
its just all the messages you havent looked at. so basically when you reload the page it flashes a number right? i have 28 and then it shows like 6. the second one that stays is the good one

its just all the messages you havent looked at. so basically when you reload the page it flashes a number right? i have 28 and then it shows like 6. the second one that stays is the good one

No, I don't have to reload the page for it to happen. The numbers just change randomly.

when I load the site, I might get a notification number show up and then it disappears unless I have a recent unread notification. If I do have a recent unread notification, the number stays. I don't consider that an issue for me...your results may very. Try refreshing the page if it's wonky.

It has changed since the upgrade. I get a flash number which I think is my last lot of notifications, then I get a real number with the ones that are current. Sort of weird but not a great issue considering other things in the world at the moment. maybe on a slow News day I will bring it up. :)

I use a laptop; it may be different on a phone.

The steady number next to the bell symbol is the number of notifications since you last loaded the list of notifications. It will increase every time you have a new notification, and decrease when you read a thread with an attached notification.

When you load the list of notifications, the steady number disappears. If you don't read all the threads in the notification list, you will have "unread" notifications.

The flash number is the number of "unread" notifications.

When new notifications are received, the steady number will re-appear, and the flash number will include the new notifications plus the old "unread" ones.

Those members who do not bother with notifications (yes, there are some ;) ) just need to click on the bell, then show all at the bottom of the pop up box, then click 'mark read' at the top of the page. You can also make sure all the 'alert' boxes are unchecked in preferences in your profile.

I'm sorry. I don't think I explained this very well. Often the numbers that show up are completely random and have nothing to do with how many notifications I have, or how many I've read.
I took some screenshots, but I don't know if that will help.
When I first logged on today, it said that I have 7 notifications.
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.26.44 AM.png

Then it randomly changed to 5. I did not click anything. It just happened. It then also quickly changed to 4, but it went back to 5 before I could get a picture.
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.25.46 AM.png

It does this the entire time I'm on. It shows me random numbers, even if I don't have any new notifications at all.

Now it's showing me a 3 every time I click on something, and I don't have any unread notifications. The 3 disappears after a few seconds.

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.37.38 AM.png

Are you using a phone? I only know how it behaves on a laptop, I'm afraid.

I don't know how to explain it. The numbers behave on my laptop the way I described.

I've just come back after dinner, and the number was 4. I looked at my notification list and there were 4 new ones (including your reply in this thread). So I read three of the threads but not this one, then clicked 'new posts'. The number 2 flashed up then changed to 1. The list showed this thread and a new one.
That's how mine has always worked so I don't know why yours doesn't do the same ????

I don't know how to explain it. The numbers behave on my laptop the way I described.

I've just come back after dinner, and the number was 4. I looked at my notification list and there were 4 new ones (including your reply in this thread). So I read three of the threads but not this one, then clicked 'new posts'. The number 2 flashed up then changed to 1. The list showed this thread and a new one.
That's how mine has always worked so I don't know why yours doesn't do the same ????

I don't know either. It's very strange...:/

It does the same thing on my phone. I've learned to give it a second. But I do occasionally miss messages because of it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back