Not sure what’s wrong with my guppy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cait.russ

Reaction score
I’ve had a guppy that has been somewhat unwell for a couple months now and I can’t for the life of my figure out what it is. I’ve tried treating it for swim bladder, white spot, fungal/bacterial infections you name it I’ve bought treatments for it. I’ve tried salt baths and a hospital tank and she does not seem to be getting any better. The past few days I’ve noticed a chunk of her tail missing again and she now seems very weak/limp and has gotten quite skinny. She also has been struggling to swim and seems to be floating vertically and just being pushed around by the filter etc. PH level is 7.1 and no traces of ammonia,nitrates etc as I tested the water yesterday and did about an 80/90% water change the other day. I feel like it may be a bit too late to really save the poor thing but any ideas as to what it could be as no other fish are unwell in any way.

I’ve had a guppy that has been somewhat unwell for a couple months now and I can’t for the life of my figure out what it is. I’ve tried treating it for swim bladder, white spot, fungal/bacterial infections you name it I’ve bought treatments for it. I’ve tried salt baths and a hospital tank and she does not seem to be getting any better. The past few days I’ve noticed a chunk of her tail missing again and she now seems very weak/limp and has gotten quite skinny. She also has been struggling to swim and seems to be floating vertically and just being pushed around by the filter etc. PH level is 7.1 and no traces of ammonia,nitrates etc as I tested the water yesterday and did about an 80/90% water change the other day. I feel like it may be a bit too late to really save the poor thing but any ideas as to what it could be as no other fish are unwell in any way.
Hello. I am sorry to hear about your guppy. Here is what I have for you.

Common Livebearer Diseases:
- Intestinal Worms
- Swim bladder malfunction
- Ammonia/Nitrite poisoning
- Dropsy
- Ammonia burn

How to Help:
Based on your description of your lady, I believe she might have intestinal worms, ammonia poison, or swim bladder malfunction. You will need to buy some treatments for worms (@Colin_T can help more with that). Swim bladder malfunction is hard to cure, but I recommend feeding her boiled, peeled peas. Ammonia poisoning requires a large water change, about 75-90% depending on your stocking level and tank volume.

Questions for you:
- What are your exact water parameters? (nitrites, nitrates, pH, ammonia)
- Do you use strips? If so, please buy a API Liquid Water testing kit.
- Have you noticed any aggression?
- Have you noticed any stringy white poop?
- Have you noticed bloating before she got skinny?
- Can you video/take pictures for us? It will help with a more accurate diagnosis.

Hello. I am sorry to hear about your guppy. Here is what I have for you.

Common Livebearer Diseases:
- Intestinal Worms
- Swim bladder malfunction
- Ammonia/Nitrite poisoning
- Dropsy
- Ammonia burn

How to Help:
Based on your description of your lady, I believe she might have intestinal worms, ammonia poison, or swim bladder malfunction. You will need to buy some treatments for worms (@Colin_T can help more with that). Swim bladder malfunction is hard to cure, but I recommend feeding her boiled, peeled peas. Ammonia poisoning requires a large water change, about 75-90% depending on your stocking level and tank volume.

Questions for you:
- What are your exact water parameters? (nitrites, nitrates, pH, ammonia)
- Do you use strips? If so, please buy a API Liquid Water testing kit.
- Have you noticed any aggression?
- Have you noticed any stringy white poop?
- Have you noticed bloating before she got skinny?
- Can you video/take pictures for us? It will help with a more accurate diagnosis.
I have tried treatments for most of these but I hadn’t thought of intestinal worms so will do some research on this!
PH is 7.2, nitrite and ammonia are 0 and nitrate was at about 25 if I remember correctly. I use the API freshwater master test kit. I can’t say I’ve noticed any aggression with any of the other fish and I’m confused as to why no other fish in the tank seems to be affected. And again I can’t say I’ve noticed any stringy white poop or any bloating. She has however gotten very skinny recently. She tries to eat but seems like she doesn’t have the strength to control where she swims or her back end seems to just flop around. I will try to get some clear pics/videos of the fish!

I have tried treatments for most of these but I hadn’t thought of intestinal worms so will do some research on this!
PH is 7.2, nitrite and ammonia are 0 and nitrate was at about 25 if I remember correctly. I use the API freshwater master test kit. I can’t say I’ve noticed any aggression with any of the other fish and I’m confused as to why no other fish in the tank seems to be affected. And again I can’t say I’ve noticed any stringy white poop or any bloating. She has however gotten very skinny recently. She tries to eat but seems like she doesn’t have the strength to control where she swims or her back end seems to just flop around. I will try to get some clear pics/videos of the fish!
Nitrate is a bit high. It should stay below 20 ppm. pH is good but could use a but lifting and the 0 nitrites/ammonia is good.

Pictures/videos would help immensely.

I think the best things that it could be is swim bladder issues. Not malfunction, it could just be permanently damaged.

Do you happen to know the age of the fish?

Nitrate is a bit high. It should stay below 20 ppm. pH is good but could use a but lifting and the 0 nitrites/ammonia is good.

Pictures/videos would help immensely.

I think the best things that it could be is swim bladder issues. Not malfunction, it could just be permanently damaged.

Do you happen to know the age of the fish?
Okay would another water change be the best option to change this? Unfortunately I don’t know I got the fish when she was fully grown that’s all I know. Please excuse the colour it’s due to lighting! It’s not the actual colour of the water I promise. Also anyone know how to upload a video? As it won’t let me attach it

Attachments

• 20C38CAE-3ADE-4C61-9559-9B81E8556337.jpeg
    20C38CAE-3ADE-4C61-9559-9B81E8556337.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 952ABBE4-76C4-431D-BC11-A04A4DFDE111.jpeg
    952ABBE4-76C4-431D-BC11-A04A4DFDE111.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 46
Okay would another water change be the best option to change this? Unfortunately I don’t know I got the fish when she was fully grown that’s all I know. Please excuse the colour it’s due to lighting! It’s not the actual colour of the water I promise. Also anyone know how to upload a video? As it won’t let me attach it
You would have to upload it on Youtube (you can put it on private) and link it!

She looks like she has a spine injury, as she has an 'S' shaped spine. This is commonly known as scoliosis. There is nothing you can do except make her life as good as possible.

Here is the link for the video! I must say she is swimming very well in this she normally just floats around and goes with the movement of the water itself. https://youtube.com/shorts/Te2eHMH89yg?feature=share
Oh I see! This is exactly what I needed. She has more of a 'C' shaped spine, which could still be scoliosis, that is my best guess of of now. Try to lower your nitrate levels and observe from there. She could just have a defect.

Oh I see! This is exactly what I needed. She has more of a 'C' shaped spine, which could still be scoliosis, that is my best guess of of now. Try to lower your nitrate levels and observe from there. She could just have a defect.
I’ll keep a close eye on her! Is this something that can come on with age? Because she was absolutely fine before and I’ve had her for almost a year now and can’t say I’ve noticed any signs of injury. Thank you so much for your help!

I’ll keep a close eye on her! Is this something that can come on with age? Because she was absolutely fine before and I’ve had her for almost a year now and can’t say I’ve noticed any signs of injury. Thank you so much for your help!
Yes, this would come with age.

Of course! I know how scary these things can be, especially when you have no idea what could be causing it.

Next Steps:
- Observe her behavior closely. Is she swimming better? Is she eating?
- If she is not eating, place her in a breeding box and feed her there so she does't have to fight for food.
- Check water parameters, keep them pristine. With any chronic illness/disease, the fish's immune system is weakened.
- If she is suffering, (not eating, sinking to the bottom, stopping moving as much, getting bullied) move her to another tank or humanely euthanize her.
- Update us or ask questions whenever you have them.

Yes, this would come with age.

Of course! I know how scary these things can be, especially when you have no idea what could be causing it.

Next Steps:
- Observe her behavior closely. Is she swimming better? Is she eating?
- If she is not eating, place her in a breeding box and feed her there so she does't have to fight for food.
- Check water parameters, keep them pristine. With any chronic illness/disease, the fish's immune system is weakened.
- If she is suffering, (not eating, sinking to the bottom, stopping moving as much, getting bullied) move her to another tank or humanely euthanize her.
- Update us or ask questions whenever you have them.
Thank you so much!! I will update the post in a few days after seeing how she does.

Bit hard to tell from the pictures but it could have a microsporidian infection, which causes the muscle tissue in the back to turn a cream/ milky/ opaque colour. The fish in the pictures looks like it has this in the top half of the body.

You can treat this with salt (2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep salt in there for 2-4 weeks.). If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails & mollies) in the tank, you can use 2-4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres of water.

--------------------
Low GH can cause problems to guppies. They need a GH around 200ppm+

--------------------
It could have gill flukes and or intestinal worms. Go to the 3rd section of the following link and treat the fish for worms.
(277) What to do if your fish has Stringy White Poop. | Tropical Fish Forums

--------------------
In future, if your fish get sick, find out what the problem is before dumping chemicals into the tank.

The first treatment for most livebearer health issues is salt. 2-4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water for 2-4 weeks, will treat lots of things.

Bit hard to tell from the pictures but it could have a microsporidian infection, which causes the muscle tissue in the back to turn a cream/ milky/ opaque colour. The fish in the pictures looks like it has this in the top half of the body.

You can treat this with salt (2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep salt in there for 2-4 weeks.). If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails & mollies) in the tank, you can use 2-4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres of water.

--------------------

--------------------
It could have gill flukes and or intestinal worms. Go to the 3rd section of the following link and treat the fish for worms.
(277) What to do if your fish has Stringy White Poop. | Tropical Fish Forums

--------------------
In future, if your fish get sick, find out what the problem is before dumping chemicals into the tank.

The first treatment for most livebearer health issues is salt. 2-4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water for 2-4 weeks, will treat lots of things.
I have tried using salt, my tank isn’t just livebearers so I’ve even tried having the fish in its own tank for a while and nothing seems to be helping. I’ve done research on what could possibly be wrong and bought the appropriate treatments and again no result. I wouldn’t carelessly be dumping any old thing into the tank for risk of causing more damage.

Most of Scotland has soft to very soft water, though there are places with harder what.

Can I suggest you check on your water company's website, though Scottish Water does make this a bit complicated. (You have to find the supply zone for your postcode, then download a pdf and look for the supply zone on there)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back