Not sure what is the right thing to do!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

xxamyxx85

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Iā€™m not sure if any of you will remember me from over a year ago, havenā€™t been on for a while!!

My Betta Zilla is nearly two he had a large internal bleed to his anal fin when he was about 6months old from an injury, he jumped into a soap dish which I was using as a baffler, he was battered with the filter flow in the soap dish for about 10mins before came back past his tank and found him. I went for just a foam roller over the filter spray bar after this incident! I really didnā€™t think he was going to live long after that, his anal fin was very slowly filling with blood, but with water changes every two days (heā€™s in a 10gallon) to stop him getting secondary infections, he would swim around and still build bubble nests and acted as normal, heā€™s been okay for over a year.

I noticed a few days ago he just didnā€™t seem himself, hiding a lot! Then the heavy breathing started (tested all water parameters with API master kit, ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 5) he looks faded in colour and has done for a few weeks. I know he is dying and itā€™s not to do with the water. He is currently just coming up for air when he really has to, I have lowered the water level slightly just to make it easier for him to get up to the surface. I have live plants etc and he does lay in the roots of my floating plants.

I have clove oil, I have never used it before, I know that catching him will really stress him out and probably kill him anyway, watching him hard breathing is just so upsetting and Iā€™m not sure of the right thing to doā€¦.. put him down with the clove oil or let nature run itā€™s course. I know no one can make this decision for me but I would love to hear everyone opinions and discussions whilst I decide what is the right thing for Zilla and myself.

Thank you.

I've used clove oil and alcohol. With clove oil, the fish seem to "feel it" and bash around even using it diluted. With high proof gin or vodka, they seem to just slow and then sink to the bottom in a coma before breathing stops. You may try the alcohol and then after they are slowed, use the clove oil. Sorry for the impeding loss of your fin friend.

I've used clove oil and alcohol. With clove oil, the fish seem to "feel it" and bash around even using it diluted. With high proof gin or vodka, they seem to just slow and then sink to the bottom in a coma before breathing stops. You may try the alcohol and then after they are slowed, use the clove oil. Sorry for the impeding loss of your fin friend.
I heard stories about the clove oil being distressing, thatā€™s why Iā€™ve held off. Thank you for the alcohol suggestion I will keep it in mind.

I just let nature run its course. There have been times when I thought a fish was dying and they make a recovery. If he seems to be suffering immensely then maybe you can euthanize if you have to.
Thank you, I feel that letting nature do itā€™s thing is probably the right way to go, and thank you for the positive thoughts.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back