Not Sure about my cycle

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I put ammonia in my tank yesterday a full dose and its 0ppm this morning. Nitrite is still high. 20201029_090906.jpg
Something is broken with my nitrite.
20201029_092522.jpg
The bacteria doesnt seem to be doing anything.

My current water parameters are:
Ph of 7.2
Kh of 10/178
Gh of 14/250
No3 25ppm
No2 2ppm
Ammonia 0

The only changes to my water is in Gh which has increased from my test last week.
From 7/125 to 14/250

Last edited:
Are you looking down the tubes with the lids off to match the colours?
That card seems to be telling me that's how to read this test, I have a similar ammonia testing kit, it makes it easier to read.

Are you looking down the tubes with the lids off to match the colours?
That card seems to be telling me that's how to read this test, I have a similar ammonia testing kit, it makes it easier to read.
The photo is just for visual purposes, I followed the guide when reading the test.

Reactions: kwi
During cycling, ammonia drops to zero well before nitrite. What you are seeing is normal. My nitrite stayed at over 5 ppm (the highest my tester can read) with zero ammonia for 15 days. The nitrite eaters can't start to grow until the ammonia eaters have made some nitrite so they always lag behind. And the nitrite eaters don't multiply as fast as the ammonia eaters so it takes longer for them to grow enough to remove all the nitrite.

The trick now is to add a minimal amount of ammonia so that nitrite does not get high enough to stall the cycle. If you follow the method on here, nitrite cannot get that high.

All good here my tank is almost ready. Nitrite is dropping fast.

Nice, my nitrites are still excessively high, did you keep dosing ammonia even though the nitrites were over 2ppm, or did you leave it longer in between?

Nice, my nitrites are still excessively high, did you keep dosing ammonia even though the nitrites were over 2ppm, or did you leave it longer in between?
Ive only been doing 1ppm ammonia instead of 3ppm when I dose and im still adding a cap of bacteria every day.

I did a full dose of ammonia yesterday and today both my ammonia and nitrite were 0 im cycled.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back