Not So Secret Spawn Updated Picture

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

modaz

Getting old, but nowhere near knackered, i just lo
Reaction score
you can clearly see in this picture, all fry are starting to develop the same tails, this one im convinced will be male but it could be female.
P1070756.jpg

The crowntail that i crossed into is now coming through very nicely, and from what i can see this boy is going to be atleast a triple ray, what im hoping is for the extensions to grow at a different position than the normal CT extensions, with having more than 2 extensions this could well be a possible factor, Im a little concerned about the branching though as all of the fry are showing the same symptom of them pulling away from the center ray at angles, is this what is suppose to happen with this tail cross? god knows and will let us know soon, but im sure that with all of them doing it including the females it is likely. The mother was a quad ray ct as you can see either the mother or father was.
The anal fins is also starting to give out double rays which is fairly nice to see.Another thing that conerns me more than the tail is the dorsal fin, this I hoped to be a little be more towards the head rather than being very close to the tail, this does not cause any problems with swimming at all. The line of the back, head and jaw are really nice and couldnt be better as exactly what i wanted them to be. The colour is not important at the moment but this line was produced from a cambodian female and a red/navy male. Yellow is also present in one of the younger ones as a yellow cap on green/blue body and red fins this i will prob cross add back into the line if it is possible. This generation ive decided to not cross back into eachother or the parents but to cross into 2 other tail types as seperate spawns, I have both male and female waiting depending on what sex this lot turn out to be. One line will be hmpk the other is a secret :lol:

Wow....love the gold glitter on the fins. He/she is gorgeous although I reckon maybe it's a girl going by the anal fin and is far too pretty to be a boy :lol:

Wow....love the gold glitter on the fins. He/she is gorgeous although I reckon maybe it's a girl going by the anal fin and is far too pretty to be a boy :lol:
yeah looking hard at it, it does look more female now, but something is telling me male, theres a tiny nest every other day and it was so agressive it had to go into betta prison, but we'll soon see, to be honest if it is female that makes my life a lot easier with the next spawn as females will spawn much sooner than the males, Im pleased with them as almost lost the lot moving them from the shop and lost about 6 in total.

Ah yes but remember the nests that my 3 girls used to make........before they decided to drop eggs :crazy:

We've got a little one at the moment that looks female apart from the fact that I got a photo of her a couple of months ago with full flare. I'm still none the wiser.

Are you not tempted to put her with a sibling then? or maybe Vax? Will look forward to seeing how that caudal looks as she grows.

Ah yes but remember the nests that my 3 girls used to make........before they decided to drop eggs :crazy:

We've got a little one at the moment that looks female apart from the fact that I got a photo of her a couple of months ago with full flare. I'm still none the wiser.

Are you not tempted to put her with a sibling then? or maybe Vax? Will look forward to seeing how that caudal looks as she grows.
Vax is with a copper hmpk who has the giant gene and also her siblings were OHMPK but at the moment but he is refusing to build, typical!!!! Im hoping to keep to cross his genetics with her to give an OHMPKFT and to bring out the multi colour possibilities from the copper side as well, I dont really want to end up with reds and blues, this is then gunna be added to the tail type im trying to create now, so the fry would have pk, ohm, ft, ct in their genes and then the addition of this tail type ive introduced as well (which isnt DT before anyone says) thus giving either a betta that shows a multitude of genes or has the abililty to produce a wide range of tail types in one spawn. Thats my mad idea but I have no choice to add the pk into it as with the high % chance of getting high volume rays in some fry and I don't want the fry to have swimming problems and this would indeed help keeping their tail alot stronger with the pk holding a very strong branching as standard.

Typical....they build like mad then see a female and freeze lol

Sounds like a great project. Can you imagine the fun having all those tail types turn up in one spawn!!! :drool:

I must admit I prefer the spawns that catch me unawares and throw out all sorts of tails and colours. It keeps things so much more interesting seeing them develop.

Good luck with Vax....hope he starts to play ball soon :good: His brothers make little nests at the moment but hoping once they're confronted by a female they'll up their game abit.

Typical....they build like mad then see a female and freeze lol

Sounds like a great project. Can you imagine the fun having all those tail types turn up in one spawn!!! :drool:

I must admit I prefer the spawns that catch me unawares and throw out all sorts of tails and colours. It keeps things so much more interesting seeing them develop.

Good luck with Vax....hope he starts to play ball soon :good: His brothers make little nests at the moment but hoping once they're confronted by a female they'll up their game abit.
yeah it would be great to have a load of different tail types and the odd mute as well, i suppose the main tail type ive brought into this other line would be classed as a mute but a stunning mute he is. Ive got no picture of him in full health as he aint got a tail left now as the ct female made a good job of him throughout the spawning and its refusing to grow back.

well to my surprise I've got 3 different tail types out of this lot of fry.

Ended up with 4 females and 2 males, the first picture on this thread is a female (yes netty you got it right :lol: ) she shows the ct coming through.

This is one of the males with the ct
P1070841.jpg

and another showing 2 tail types in one, cant say for sure what its gunna be like yet but time will tell, these 2 males are the same size so a definate difference in tail types.
P1070847.jpg

now this next one is what I wanted to achieve, I believe it could be female but looking at my above attempt on sexing I could be wrong again, this is only a tail shot though, this is the smallest of all fry. Ive detailed the picture so you see what I'm waffling on about.
Sincere apologies for the bad spelling mistakes on this last picture :blush: , but I'm NOT gunna redo it as too tired :lol:

ctft3pic.jpg

it is astounding how you can see different genes and characteristics in the pic above, my mouth has just dropped...i want one! lol will any of the spawn be for sale on ebay?

it is astounding how you can see different genes and characteristics in the pic above, my mouth has just dropped...i want one! lol will any of the spawn be for sale on ebay?
yes I'm totally blown side ways, never thought it would be seen in the first generation but knew what I wanted and was lucky to find a very unusual male that I had only ever seen once before but lost him before I could spawn him. No these fellows won't be forsale as they are too be our spawners to work on improving the tail type, we got someone willing to help us out in developing them further as a lot of space is gunna be needed to ensure that we have the best amount of fry to choose from to get the genetics right. Need to add in 1 more tail type and then the line should be finished, that is unless it all goes pear shaped and they don't breed true for 3 generations giving a high % of the desired tails.

Also lost the father of these fry tonight, no apparent illness, just tired and needed a rest I think :blink: poor little fellow.

yes I'm totally blown side ways, never thought it would be seen in the first generation but knew what I wanted and was lucky to find a very unusual male that I had only ever seen once before but lost him before I could spawn him. No these fellows won't be forsale as they are too be our spawners to work on improving the tail type, we got someone willing to help us out in developing them further as a lot of space is gunna be needed to ensure that we have the best amount of fry to choose from to get the genetics right. Need to add in 1 more tail type and then the line should be finished, that is unless it all goes pear shaped and they don't breed true for 3 generations giving a high % of the desired tails.

Also lost the father of these fry tonight, no apparent illness, just tired and needed a rest I think :blink: poor little fellow.
:rip:

Thanks, he will be missed as had him planned for one last spawn but he took a turn for the worst last week and didnt pull though, prob couldn't bare the thought of raising fry and doing all the hard work again, he had a hell of a time with this last lot, even though 2-3 days old they were swimming circles around him and found him giving up the chase, sulking in the corner of the tank.

Firsty.....YAY I was right
razz.gif

Looking really great Daz. Isn't great when nature surprises you so nicely in the early stages. This is the joy of breeding Bettas. Now the difficult choice of which to continue with.

Such a shame you lost Dad but he's left behind some stunning babies :good:

Firsty.....YAY I was right
razz.gif

YEAH YEAH!!!!! make the most of it for once :hyper: :lol: :lol: :lol: its unusual for you to get the sex right, now Bronze on the other matter!!!! lol how fun it is bouncing you too off eachother.

oooops better change my signature again :hey:

:lol: :lol: like a couple of Telly Tubbies!!!!

Would like to put this up in relation to one of your other threads
straight-jacket.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back