Not really an emergency but what should I do about my overstocked tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Fishies4Ever

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I set up the tank about a year ago. It used to have plastic plants, bridge, house, and gravel. A few months ago I decided to go with a more natural look so now I have fluval plant substrate, topped with white sand, driftwood, and 2 Amazon swords. I have more plants that are on the way to help spread out the fish and find some hiding spots. These plants are Anubias nana petite, Java fern, golden creeping Jenny, red myrio, and a cryptocoryn plant that I ordered as a mystery so we will see what kind it is. I am not sure if all these plants come as a small bundle or a single plant Iā€™ll have to see when they get here. The tank is overstocked at the moment. I have 4 neon tetras, 3 red and yellow von rio tetras, 6 black neon tetras, and
4 serpae tetras. I know the tank is way over crowded and most of these fish are supposed to be in schools. I only have this many fish because I did a cross country move last summer. I only had 5 red and yellow von rio tetras and 2 otocinclus at the time. Both otocinclus died before I moved and 2 red and yellow tetras have died since I moved. I had moved all the fish from a 29 gallon which are all the other fish except the red and yellow tetras into my 10 gallon because I lived in a tiny town with one fish store but I donā€™t think the guy would have taken good care of them if I weā€™re to re home them. I am not sure what to do I donā€™t really want to re home the fish because I have become attached to them but if I have to I will. Another problem with re homing the fish or donating is I only have 2 big box stores in my area who donā€™t take good care of their fish, so I wouldnā€™t want to do that either, so I am kinda stuck. My house is currently pretty small and we donā€™t have enough room for a larger tank I just want to get a beta tank and call it good for now. Sorry this is kind of a lot but I need some advice. The pictures arenā€™t the best. All the fish like to cluster underneath the driftwood when the light is on, Iā€™m not sure why. I am thinking maybe they are scared of the light and are trying to take cover so I am thinking about getting some frogbit or red root floaters.

Attachments​

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254 KB Ā· Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239 KB Ā· Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.3 KB Ā· Views: 6
  • image.jpg

You are the judge on your overstocking. There are always only two solutions.
1) another tank to spread things out;
2) Give away some fish via a local aquarium club or a store.

I guess the third exists, which is to do nothing, but that has consequences for the fish.

Could you get a second tank? Or even a bigger tank than this one would fit on the dresser its sat on? When you really try to assess if you can fit a bigger tank, you usually can :)

Wills

Serpae Tetras can be fin nippers and aggressive towards other fish. I say re-home the Serpae Tetras and you are good. Do you know someone in your town who would want them? Or you could give them to the fish store. Big box stores don't usually accept fish that are not from their shippers.

You have a real problem here, and the fish are severely stressed. This is not intended to blame you, these circumstances happen to many of us and are not of our choice. But now you are stuck with the problem and wisely have asked for advice.

I will explain first why the fish are telling you/us that things are very bad for them. They are hovering close to the substrate, and under what little cover they can get. None of these fish come from "open water" as such, they inhabit watercourses that are largely overshadowed by forest canopy, or in larger watercourses marginal vegetation. They do not like light above them, because it means they are open and exposed to predation. Many characins (all tetras are in this family) have what Baensch & Rhiel first termed a light phobia. They need dim light, which is best achieved by floating plants with reduced tank light intensity (maybe, depends).

Second, the groups of each species are much too small. We know from scientific evidence that shoaling/schooling species live in very large groups and that numbers really matter. Ten of each species would be better than four, or five, or six, or seven, whatever. [I am not suggesting running out and trying to get more, just noting the facts.] Fewer than 10 had severe stress issues; an arbitrary number, but one study dealt with groups of ten, five and three of the species studied and found the fish in groups smaller than 10 exhibited stress which developed into increased aggression, fear to leave the even-small group, and a latency to even feed--this latter especially shows this is a major issue to the fish.

Another issue is the species themselves. Serpae Tetras are prone to being feisty, and ready to fin nip even at the best of times. This species requires a group of 12-15 (or more) and this group needs a 30g tank (assuming length of 30 inches/75 cm). Just for this one species. The Von Rio tetra is presumably the species Hyphessobrycon flammeus and along with the Neon Tetras and Black Neon Tetras requires a group of ten-plus (each species). These three are or should normally be peaceful. These numbers are in the best interests of the fish, but this brings us to issues.

The 10g tank will not work for all these. If this were me, rather than watch what is likely to occur the longer this goes unchanged, I would rehome the fish regardless of the stores. If you could acquire a much larger tank, you could increase the groups--but the Serpae is not in this, I would definitely get rid of these four, it is a disaster waiting to happen. The other three would be good in no less than a 29g (dimensions 30 by 12 inches, 75 by 30 cm), and with soft sand as the only substrate you could even have a group of cories for added interest. Floating plants, and you're all set. Parameters are not given, but very soft, soft, moderately soft/hard in GH is fine, these species are not as fussy as some would be.

Thank you for your advice. I will try to find a reliable place where I can re home the 4 serpae tetras. I might be able to get a bigger tank. I think a 20 gallon long tank would fit on my dresser. I might be able to go to a 29 gallon tank and put it on my book shelf but Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s stable enough. Iā€™ll keep thinking. I just got a lot of plants and the fish have spread out a bit more. I still have to order some floating plants such as red root floaters or frogbit to help them feel less stressed. I will put a picture up of the tank with all the plants once I get back home.

Thank you for your advice. I will try to find a reliable place where I can re home the 4 serpae tetras. I might be able to get a bigger tank. I think a 20 gallon long tank would fit on my dresser. I might be able to go to a 29 gallon tank and put it on my book shelf but Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s stable enough. Iā€™ll keep thinking. I just got a lot of plants and the fish have spread out a bit more. I still have to order some floating plants such as red root floaters or frogbit to help them feel less stressed. I will put a picture up of the tank with all the plants once I get back home.
Thing about aquariums is that they are very heavy. Whatever structure you put one on has to be able to hold the weight for a permanent amount of time. Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon and also considering the substrate and other contents of the tank, a 29 gallon is going to be around 250-300 pounds. I don't think a book shelf will hold that. And something else to consider is that water spills are unavoidable. You don't know how water will affect the material.
It's best to keep an aquarium on a stand that's designed to hold an aquarium. That can structurally support the weight and is made of materials that won't be affected by water. It could be a fish tank stand you purchase or build yourself. You can find bargains online. Either used on sites like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist or even good sales at retailers. I got my stand on sale half off at a PetSmart.

This is my tank and the book shelf I was thinking about putting a tank on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 18
I don't know... It looks a little....flimsy maybe? Just from the picture it kind of looks like it couldn't hold anything more than a 6 gallon tank. Do you have anywhere else you could put a tank?

I don't know... It looks a little....flimsy maybe? Just from the picture it kind of looks like it couldn't hold anything more than a 6 gallon tank. Do you have anywhere else you could put a tank?
Ok thank you for your advice. I donā€™t really have anywhere else to put it until I remodel my room which is going to take quite awhile. I might be able to get a better book shelf in the mean time that will be able to support the weight.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back