Not New But Still Need Help :)

Bladehunter

Reaction score
Hi I recently got myself 2 new tanks been out off keeping fish for 2/3 years.
The first question is what substrate will be best for Americans and that will be good for live plants too.
So the first tank is a 4ft by 2ft depth by 28" high.
Wanting Americans, I like all Americans so if you could make a few lists off what I could have in the tank you be great.
The tank will also be having alot off filtration and good lighting.

Second tank is a 3ft which I was thinking off breeding convicts in, what would be the beat differ fish for these?

Thank you

Do you know what hardness your water is? I assume you mean American cichlids?

I would honestly have a rethink about the convicts. Three foot is a bit on the small side, and convict fry are very difficult to get rid of. They don't need dither fish (any other fish in a three foot tank with a breeding pair of convicts doesn't stand much of a chance either).

I agree with fluttermoth. Convicts will breed like crazy, and you'll be stuck with fry no one else wants. There are all most as many American cichlids as African. Did you want Central American, or South American?
   Firemouths are pretty fish that stay fairly small and breed rather easily. You could also try Gold Severums. Either would work as a group of 1 male to 2-3 females in your smaller tank (I'm guessing about a 40G). In your larger tank (using your dimensions, I calculate it to be about 140G), you have more options. Oscars and Jack Dempseys are both popular here in the US. Midas, Green Terror, Quetzals are all large, pretty fish. All of the fish mentioned are large, boisterous, and hungry, so would need to be the only type of fish in your tank.
   Discus are popular, and expensive, so if you can get them to breed, you could easily sell the fry. They're very sensitive fish though, and water has to be kept scrupulously clean and well-filtered.
   There are several smaller Amer cichlids which are beautiful, and popular, at least in the US. Angelfish are actually cichlids from the Amazon area of S America. Rams are pretty small and fairly peaceful, also colorful. My personal favorite small American cichlid is the Cockatoo Dwarf. Less than 3", but with 10' of color.

I recommend convicts, females are usually easy to tell apart. As for the other tanks, Salvinis (salvins cichlids or tri color) are very interesting and very tolerant of other cichlids. Mine polices my other smaller cichlids and keeps aggression down. Firemouths are neat fish too

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back