Not Ich!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have treated these 2 green neons for ich both with meds and heat. In the QT tank it appeared they were getting better and spots were gone. I moved them back to main tank and under that light they are as covered as ever. I’m puzzled. No other fish have this. @Colin_T , what else can it be?
A44BADB9-5A1B-45E8-8D5A-B0EFFA0E37BB.jpeg
7D989F46-B201-4BC6-8D4B-1B33ED577669.jpeg

Could it be weird little fungus spots? Just throwing ideas around

Fungus is extremely contagious, so this rules that out. @Deanasue said only 2 fish had it.

@Byron said my water parameters were not suited for these guys. I’m wondering if the long term exposure has caused it. While they were in QT they acted all freaky but seemed more settled in the community tank. I have the temp going up slowly to 86F there. Any other suggestions?

@Byron said my water parameters were not suited for these guys. I’m wondering if the long term exposure has caused it. While they were in QT they acted all freaky but seemed more settled in the community tank. I have the temp going up slowly to 86F there. Any other suggestions?
Just big water changes. If it is a fungus it could take weeks for it to show up on healthier fish so water changes should help keep them healthy to fight it off (once again, if it is that)

Do you think it could be protozoan disease? in which case it is highly contagious and need to QT

Are the fish rubbing on anything in the tank?
Are they breathing heavily?
How long have they looked like the picture for?

What medication did you use to treat them?
What is the expiry date on the medication?
Was the medication kept in a cool dry dark place?
Did you have carbon in the filter when treating?
How long did you use the medication for?

How long did you use heat for?
What temperature was the water and is the thermometer accurate?

-----------------
It's either whitespot or excess mucous, possibly both.

If it's whitespot, the pattern of the spots should change over a few days as some drop off and new parasites attach. Photograph the fish each day and compare the spots on the images.

Do a 90% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. This will reduce the number of parasites in the water and give you a chance to see if the spots are changing. If the spots are changing, then the medication might have been out of date or something else went wrong during treatment.

-----
Alternatively, move the fish into a clean plastic storage container of water and leave them there for 24 hours. Then move them into another container of clean water for 24 hours. Continue moving them into a clean container of water every 24 hours for 1 week.

Disinfect the container and any equipment used to move the fish after the fish have been moved into the next one.

If it is whitespot, the parasites will drop off each day and when you move the fish into a clean container, there won't be any new parasites to infect them. After a week of daily moves, the fish should be free of whitespot.

Do you think it could be protozoan disease? in which case it is highly contagious and need to QT
Whitepost (Ichthyophthirius) is a protozoan, as is Velvet (Oodinium), Costia, Chilodonella and Trichodina.

They are all highly contagious but relatively easy to treat with salt, heat, Malachite Green or Copper.

I would consider this to be ich, and Colin seems to be agreeing so that makes me more confident it is ich. There is only one way to deal with this. Increase the water temperature. And do not move the fish to a QT, this is in the main tank and needs to be dealt with there.

I don't know the other species in this tank, but leaving that aside I would increase the temp to close to 90F (32C) for two weeks. As I have posted elsewhere, this species (Parachierodon simulans) naturally occurs in water that is 35C (95F) so this will certainly not harm this species. Depending upon the other species in the tank, I might not go this high, and if so I might use aquarium salt. I would need to know all the fish before deciding.

Do not an any account use any so-called ich remedy with these fish. They will likely be dead before they are better if you do.

With the immediate action covered, for the future: ich is always caused by stress. Healthy fish will not succumb to ich unless they are under fairly severe stress. The pathogen obviously must be present, but it is the stress that causes fish to succumb. And stress can occur from inappropriate water parameters, problem water conditions, too few of the species (initially), inappropriate aquascaping, inappropriate tankmates, using any medications/additives, etc, etc, etc.

Fixed the problem ... boiled the fish! Put the new heater I just got into the QT TANK. Checked it at an hour and temp going up. Checked it at 3 hours and 101.6! Fish were floating in their own little hot tub, bubbler and all. They were just a little too relaxed (dead). Evidentially the thermostat didn’t work on the son of a gun! Oh well! No more ich. Thanks, guys.

Fixed the problem ... boiled the fish! Put the new heater I just got into the QT TANK. Checked it at an hour and temp going up. Checked it at 3 hours and 101.6! Fish were floating in their own little hot tub, bubbler and all. They were just a little too relaxed (dead). Evidentially the thermostat didn’t work on the son of a gun! Oh well! No more ich. Thanks, guys.
So sad Deanasue :( sorry to hear this x

Thanks. Had those 2 fish for a long time. Feel like I let them down. :(. Seller got a good piece of my mind too!

Wow, that is terrible, so sorry for your fish, How are you doing?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back