Not enough light?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

gophish

Reaction score
I have Malawi cichlids.I like to have my lights on in the aquarium and watch my fish when I get home from work. However, I am constantly cleaning the algee off the glass and rocks to keep it clear. Assuming that I am correct in saying light will causse algee to grow, can I keep the lights off in the aquarium during the day and just turn them on at night for 5-6 hours? Do they need a certain amount of light?

What colour/type od alge do u have ?

Generally brown alge is caused by not enough light, and green alge is caused by too much light, of corse there are other causes of alge but most of the time its the light. Tthe optimum time is 10-12hrs aday. What alot of people do i set a timer to come in for afew hours in the mornin while ur gettin ready for work, then it goes off and comes back on afew hours b4 u come back home then off again b4 bed :)

A timer is a great idea. Three years back, I use to fight brown algae on a regular basis in all my tanks. I was keeping my lights on twelve hours a day. I started limiting the light to feeding time and viewing time of about 2 hours. I have skylights in my condo which allows me to see the fish pretty well without lights. I have been completely free of the nasty stuff since I started the program.

Agate :rolleyes:

i never really seemed to ever have algae probs in any of my tanks.... i have plecos in all, but they dont eat all algae....... :*

i would suggest somthing that will eat the algea like apple snail or pl*co

BTW- reef3 you are very brave typing the whole word... now we can just hope most of them survive -_-

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back