Not Another Boyu Tl550 - Correct A Jad Hs-60 With Metal Halide Lamp

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JimGilbert

Reaction score
Having had a wall mounted 130 litre custom built and designed tank by me for me with little knowledge i have just got it working and in balance after 2 years of struggling with algea and filteration and heat and now the wife decides she wants to redecorate and my wall mounted tank does not fit her plans. We always wanted to do more with Coral but i could never get enough light into my wall tank (i will post some pics) so i used her Lawrence Lewelyn Bowen moment to propose a nano tank big enough to do corals. After much reading and investigation i decided the way to go was a TL 550 and i was watching one to come up with the right spec at the right price on Fleebay. Last week a 'sister' brand JAD was advertised with a 150w halide lamp, poorly advertised it has to be said i a 'stole' it for less than £100. Now i am hoping that this level of lighting will pretty much put any coral within our range and only skill and experience will limit us, but i am a patient man. My only concern is the temperature issue, on the little info i can get on the internet on what appears to be a rarish tank it appears my concerns are well founded and i may need a chiller. My plan is to use my wall tank as the gradual donor for my Nano reef tank in a considered manner, partly to put of the decoration and partly to make sure i get it right.
In summary the 2 questions are on a limited budget can anyone tell me if a will definatly need a chiller and suggest one, and as i am informatiom mad what are the best books to get to guide me on the reef / coral journey, my shelves groan with fish based books and facts. Are you bored of reading yet cos my fingers hurt, i am also having a costume cabinet built to raise the level of my tank to a more pleasing viewing level. Pics of all events will be posted as and when they develop.
TTFN
Jim

:hi: to TFF and the salty side of the hobby :good:

So, you are in the uk, most heat problems with this type of light fitting are in hotter countries, so you may be ok. However you will probably get a lot of evaporation, I would suggest if possible getting a ceiling fan or even better and as my sister did, get a fan that blows air straight across the tank.

For corals, you need The Bible, a bottle of wine and a peaceful Sunday afternoon :lol:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquarium-Corals-Selection-Husbandry-Natural/dp/1890087475

Seffie x

ps when is the big day and will you start a journel?

Hi Seffie,

It was yours and your sisters thread with advice from lots of people including BigC back in Aug 2008 onwards convinced me that a Boyu like tank was the right way to go. I have been looking at the small fans that are on e-bay which would seat reasonably neatly above the access panel to the rear filter area.

Your nearly a 'Proffesional' now with 3 years of experience.

Regards

Jim

Am i right in thinking that a journal is nothing more than a story of what happens when. There is not specific forum for a journal i can just start it in the Nano section of the sight.

Am i right in thinking that a journal is nothing more than a story of what happens when. There is not specific forum for a journal i can just start it in the Nano section of the sight.

You may start a journel in the nano section, which is what I did as I didn't at first realise that there was a journel section :blush: the journel section can be found under Reef Chitchat, I have no idea why its there actually as lots of people take ages to find it!

Seffie x

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back