Not an emergency, just looking for anything more expert members might notice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

outofwater

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Woke up to one of my female cories dead at the bottom of the tank. As the pictures might show she had the bent spine that seems common on these when overbred/inbreeding, but she was always pretty active and healthy looking, up to last night on my last glance at the tank all the fish were acting their usual selves.

Checked water of course, 0.25 ammonia (I assume because of this dead girl) zero nitrites, 5-10 nitrates, and pH at 6.8.

Will do the weekly water change ahead of time to ensure ammonia goes back down to zero.

Well planted, tank has been running now for nearly 8 months, there are 5 cories left, 13 neon tetras, 2 snails and 2 ottos. All fish seem and act healthy, they all ate this morning just fine.

Just sad, this was one of the original fish I had since starting my tank.

Note: the little black spots are debris from the cutting board where I placed her for the pictures. And although it can't be seen clearly, her barbs were intact.

Attachments

• 20220714_080457.jpg
    20220714_080457.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220714_080449.jpg
    20220714_080449.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220714_080444.jpg
    20220714_080444.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 36
Thanks @Back in the fold and @AdoraBelle Dearheart for the kind words and "explanation " we live, we die, so do our fish, so do all living beings.

On a completely unrelated note, just scored a free reverse osmosis system, this will greatly help my fish since the summer months bring harder water in this area . I was planning to get one, now I don't have to spend that money.

God provides.

Rest in peace, little chunky one.

Attachments

• 20220714_161611.jpg
    20220714_161611.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 34
Thanks @Back in the fold and @AdoraBelle Dearheart for the kind words and "explanation " we live, we die, so do our fish, so do all living beings.
Agreed with @Back in the fold , if you cannot find an underlying cause like water conditions, tankmates, obvious illness or infection - sometimes we never know why a fish passed away. We have to bear in mind that there could have been something going in internally that led to the death, just as can happen in humans. Anything could have been wrong with the fish from birth, or later on, like a heart problem, kidney/liver/brain - and we'd never know it, but the fish passes suddenly.
On a completely unrelated note, just scored a free reverse osmosis system, this will greatly help my fish since the summer months bring harder water in this area . I was planning to get one, now I don't have to spend that money.
That's truly amazing! Those things are not cheap... getting one for free is absolutely lucky! Hope it's helpful for you. :)

The twist in the spine tells a story. It was probably tb - Mycobacteriosus. It's untreatable and incurable. If you see other fish with it, get them out of the tank asap, as it spreads when the fish dies, and the bacteria needs a new home. The curvatures are from cysts the fish creates to control the disease, and when they break, bad things happen.
As they did.

Thanks for the pointer @GaryE

@Back in the fold well I found out last night that the water connection in the kitchen at my apartment is some rigged up nonsense. I'll have to rig it up more to get it done. PITA specially because i rent, but worth it for the fish, and heck, I probably will drink that water too.

Thanks for the pointer @GaryE

@Back in the fold well I found out last night that the water connection in the kitchen at my apartment is some rigged up nonsense. I'll have to rig it up more to get it done. PITA specially because i rent, but worth it for the fish, and heck, I probably will drink that water too.
Your best bet since you are renting will be a hose adapter. These work by replacing the faucet aerator with a thread adaptor that you screw a garden hose fitting onto. It isn't permanent so the landlord will be none the wiser. I drink my R/O and also use it in my coffee maker. It's great. Check out the following for replacement cartridges and membranes and lots of other stuff.

Your best bet since you are renting will be a hose adapter. These work by replacing the faucet aerator with a thread adaptor that you screw a garden hose fitting onto. It isn't permanent so the landlord will be none the wiser. I drink my R/O and also use it in my coffee maker. It's great. Check out the following for replacement cartridges and membranes and lots of other stuff.
If you are a little more adventurous, get an icemaker tap so you won't tie up a faucet. I assume the inlet flow rate on an RO system is low and an icemaker line can handle it.

If you are a little more adventurous, get an icemaker tap so you won't tie up a faucet. I assume the inlet flow rate on an RO system is low and an icemaker line can handle it.
I'm not exactly sure about low flow. An R/O unit has to have a certain pressure to work correctly and booster pumps are sold for those with low pressure.

I'm not exactly sure about low flow. An R/O unit has to have a certain pressure to work correctly and booster pumps are sold for those with low pressure.
That makes sense. Depending on the flow rate, the small ice line may drop too much pressure. A dishwasher line would work, but that would require a bit more plumbing.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back