Normans Lampeye Not Growing

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
One month ago I bought 6 Norman's Lampeyes.  They were all on the small side of what you'd expect, so clearly all babies.  4 were slightly bigger than the other two.  Those 4 have shown a lot of growth since I bought them.  One of the smaller ones has shown some growth but is still on the smaller side.... BUT... one of the smaller ones is just tiny still!  From what I can tell, he doesn't seem to be growing.

All of them eat well and are extremely active.  They are all confident in the tank and swim freely and do not really swim together much at all.  They have been healthy and have no come down with any illnesses since buying them.

So... why does the one seem to not be growing?

Oh, tank info.... my water stats are spot on.  I change 50% weekly, it is a 20 gal with two honey gourami, 6 Normans lampeyes, a few shrimp and assassin snails (the number of snails goes up and down as I tend to sell them or exchange them for store credit).

Try spot feeding the small ones. They probable dont get enough food. You could also try liquifry or first bites and add it to the water. They should get some and eat. 

Do you think fry food would work well enough in a 20 gal tank or are they maybe better put in a breeding net for feeding?

UPDATE:  I've been feeding the two small ones fry food and one of them has improved in size a bit but one still doesn't look right... too long and thin.  I was watching it at feeding time and it doesn't really seem to be eating any of the food... yet later in the day I see it picking about around plants and such.

Any other ideas on how to help this one eat and grow more?

You could try feeding cyclops or baby brine shrimp to tempt it to eat more

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back